What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Henz

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 2m 28d

I experimented with different types and compounds of pads a couple of years ago and I was extremely impressed with the final combination that was suggested to me by a suspension guru.

I used the same rotors on front and rear as you have, but after trying several "top shelf" big name brands (and lots of dust and mess, along with chewing rotors out due to the soft compounds)

I fitted QFM (Queensland friction materials brand) standard replacement pads in conjunction with good quality aftermarket braided lines all round and high performance brake fluid (still with the ventilated discs)

I could stand on the brakes from ridiculous speeds, and not experience brake fade due to overheating.

I forgot about how much that improved the stopping power of my XR8 until I read your post, and I swore that I would tell as many people who would benefit from such small changes with the right parts.

Enjoy

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m

Not today but yesterday. Replaced the brake master cylinder in the trusty ole 4x4. Had to get the missus to help bleed it, cos even with the trusty ole brake sucker the air wouldn't come out.

Brakes are good, I like brakes :drivingalong:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Heh how about that more Landrover content...

Replaced the vacuum advance unit in the distributor last week. Haven't seen how much better the economy is yet, but it accelerates much better and is much quieter at cruise.

Changed engine oil and filter today and changed fluid in both diffs.

Gonna do the manual trans fluid tomorrow along with the transfer case oil.

I've also got wheel bearings for all 4 corners so will knock that out, harharhar, on Friday more than likely.

Ole rig is getting there, there's only a few more bits and pieces to do before it'll be a hectic, albeit slightly slow off road beast!

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 7d

Did my first Subaru service. They are weird things but was probably the easiest oil change I've ever done. Fuel system additives and upper engine cleaner was a new world for me.

Unfortunately too they use blue coolant so I didn't have any in stock. Realised after I'd pulled off 19 plastic rivets to get the shields off to access the radiator drain. So will finish that but tonight.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

I do wonder if you can actually use green/red normal coolant... I'm sure there are discussions on this with heated opinions on wrxnet. haha

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
1 hour ago, El Andrew said:

Fuel system additives and upper engine cleaner was a new world for me

Just chuck 5 litres of E85 into the tank for all the injector/valve/everything cleaner needs. Only cost $10 as a bonus.

In other news went to do the trans and transfer case oils and as mentioned did not have a T55 bit to undo the trans.

Got the transfer case done, fark all came out but filled it back up with new fluid and not voila, but pretty farken much cello, the transfer case is now quiet. The little low range sticky majiggy even moves a bit better :yay:

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 7d

Good work!

Unfortunately there is only one location in Canberra with E85 and it comes and goes there for unknown reasons. The Subaru stuff is only $13 if you buy a few of them so no big deal.

Need to look at flushing the CVT but that can wait until I've built a deck.

1 hour ago, k31th said:
I do wonder if you can actually use green/red normal coolant... I'm sure there are discussions on this with heated opinions on wrxnet. haha

Is something to do with the chemicals in green and red that is incompatible with something inside the cooling systems of newer Japanese cars.

Keep meaning to look at this properly - my engine bay would look much better with red coolant than green!