What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Henz

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

ahh ancient HU's... not fun to use with today's tech, but they are usually good quality as they had to be in such a saturated market back in the 00's

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Speakers can get in the bin

I spose I'll just upgrade the speakers to a suitable level first, then decide if I need a hectic amp and subs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Put a new power steering pump in the hectic safety pack mobile today. Adjusted a rack end cos it had hectic toe out, might get a proper wheel alignment one day.

Spent a bunch of time dialling in the auto tune function in the Delco real time modified pcm. The fuel map was ok before but now it will adjust itself to perfection. Haha funny that a car from 1989 can have rt self tuning.

Chucked the 17s from my vx super 6 on it too, cos that burnout I did a while back completely destroyed the new rear tyres that I'd fitted to it.

Still smells like a mouse's sweaty ball sack, but some more of the missus bubble gum smelling upholstery deoderiser should sort it out.

So yerp there's that, yeah this is an xr6 turbo forum and yeah I've still got a BF mk2 turbo in the driveway, but this is an update for the red team :evil:

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 25d
I stopped because check engine light came on, also at the same time dsc alarm came on. Dsc came on yesterday too and when slowing right down almost stopped the front wheels shuddered like I'd hit a rumble strip or something. It did that about 5 times and then dsc came on. Goes away when turn car off then comes back on again after driving for 5 minutes. Anyway check engine came on so I slowly drove home.
Replying from your Feb post but wrt the DSC issue and the shudder, the shudder is the abs activating (generally below 15km/hr ish) and is either a faulty wheel speed sensor which could be a dodgy plug connector, sensor magnetic tip full of steel shavings or it's just corroded or in my case if you are using aftermarket CV axles ($100 ebay axles in my case) that have pressed on reluctor rings. After buying a new abs sensor from my mechanic (he said drivers side front as I have an F6X) I found the ring was loose and slid 15mm outwards toward the wheel hub. This put the ring out of the sensors range so it loosened my teeth for a few days driving around braking...
He used aviation gasket maker (or similar) to hold it in place as he wasn't keen on tacking a few welds like I said to do.
I've not heard of any other cases of the reluctor ring issue apart from me but with oem they are machined into the CV and fwd are on the hub from memory. Worth a quick look at them anyway if the symptom persists and the sensors are single (8mm?) bolt to remove and check then look through the hole to see if it's lined up while they are out.

That's my feedback anyway...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

old gas struts, not in good shape... bonnet wasn't holding itself up anymore with this janky looking one haha:

YqQXLy0.jpg

Ipcppoe.jpg

New gas struts :) much better. Bonnet flies up and stays in position rock solid like it came straight out of the factory.

V2nn2VD.jpg

Old boot stuts were barely hanging on and now the boot is like-new again :) significant improvement

paWlDd5.jpg

• Like 1