What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Henz

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 23d
23 hours ago, El Andrew said:

Did my first Subaru service. They are weird things but was probably the easiest oil change I've ever done. Fuel system additives and upper engine cleaner was a new world for me.

Unfortunately too they use blue coolant so I didn't have any in stock. Realised after I'd pulled off 19 plastic rivets to get the shields off to access the radiator drain. So will finish that but tonight.

Speaking of Subaru's....

Have an 07 Impreza as my daily since the XR6 is consigned to the odd weekend run. Just did an upper engine clean on it also.

Like working on these things - have done all the usual maintenance tasks such as timing belt kit, water pump, plugs, cam cover gasket, all fluids etc. 

Was my sons car till he wanted a manual. So he now has a 09 RX and a box of bits ready to be installed. Looks like I have a busy weekend ahead....

G3 parts resize.jpg

• Like 5

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d

Busy indeed!

I put my T55 torx bit to use today and got the oil changed in the gearbox of the landrover. The stuff that came out was farked!!! it was dirty and had a fair amount of metal through it. The box shifts better, not that it was too bad before.

Turns out that topping stuff up reveals every leak that is there. The transfer case is leaking but that's an easy fix. I should have done it yesterday but couldn't be farked. The rear pinion seal is leaking, once again an easy fix but more work to do. There is an engine oil leak from somewhere and the front diff is covered in oil, probably from the engine but knowing my luck it'll be leaking too. All easy sh*t to fix but time consuming.

Pics of gearbox oil...

NiBdVeY.jpg

dWlnT6Y.jpg

png-transparent-red-haired-male-characte

• Like 1

• Member For: 5y 3m 24d

@Puffwagonquestion for you puff, I have a 14psi spring in my ts 45mm wastegate, top port of gate is open. In 4th gear I get a bit of boost surge up in the rpms. If I plumb comp outlet tube to bottom port of gate as well as tee it to stock boost solenoid in port and then from out port of boost solenoid to top port of gate will this give better boost control? My other car a 300zx with single to4z has profec b boost controller and is plumbed like that and has perfect boost control.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

It might but you'd need to retune the pcm for the change in required wastegate duty cycle. The usual thing to do with boost creep is to use a bigger wastegate.

Without actually logging the car and seeing the tune I can't give you a definite answer.

Edit: It might not even be an issue with the wastegate.

Edited by Puffwagon

• 1 month later...
  • Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Did the valve lash in the honda today. Ran the gaps down to as tight as they recommend then quarter of a thou more ;)

Farken thing is quieter and feels stronger all round. Just need a fully sick subwoofer and I'll be set :w00t2:

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

how does valve lash repair mean you need a sub? not saying you don't need a sub, but I'm just curious haha

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Yeah nah it doesn't. I spose there's a couple more things to do to it, but having better sound quality/volume will make it heaps better. Pity I'm a fresh out the tube noob when it comes to car audio.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

Go to a car audio joint reasonably close to you and get a quote for the best quality audio you can get for your budget (bank on $1000 at a minimum for a quality setup, probably more like $1500 for a good quality modern setup) based on what sort of music you like to listen to :)

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Yeah nah I don't pay people for stuff unless I absolutely have to. I haven't decided yet if it all gets tossed or I just add to it. It's got a clarion dxz586usb head unit and some clarion srq1630r 3 way speakers in the front and rear. The speakers still sound ok but are slightly rooted so yerp, thinking to upgrade soon.

DXZ586USB_large_visual_27-60717_690x340. SRQ1630R_large_visual_27-61444_690x340.j