What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Henz

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

Unless your tuner put in the provisions for the higher midrange, you'll need a tune to suit. Best to ask your tuner what he did.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
36 minutes ago, Slowxr6t said:

My question is I thought the stock ecu/boost control wouldn't have cared about a light spring and would've just boosted up quickly.

It would have done that if it was tuned to do that.

37 minutes ago, Slowxr6t said:

another question is, now that I'm getting full boost earlier will I need a retune because of more midrange power or will ecu adjust itself?

It will be entering different cells in the timing map due to boosting earlier. Whether or not this has been changed in the tune is anyone's guess. Some tuners only change the high load timing, some do a lot more tuning and some people do all kinds of stupid sh*t to timing maps.

It can't adjust itself but it will be taking a different path through the timing map so may be fine. Hopefully your knock sensors are still on and working in which case the car will take care of itself for the time being. The fuel will be the same as it was before, it doesn't work the same as the timing maps but it might still need attention for the spool up period at light throttle. More than 99% likely at WOT, the fuel will be fine still.

I recommend getting a tune check on the dyno for knock and also that the fuel is there early enough, due to the boost being there earlier. I also strongly suggest that you don't do any more spring swapping as it can cause damage quickly in a tuned car if it overboosts. You can crack a piston in a matter of seconds. The fact that you can already swap a spring and the car doesn't hit any boost cut tells me that there is a lot of leeway in the tune which is not necessarily a good thing. There is also a possibility that it has worked in your favour and everything is fine.

TL;dr Get it checked for knock and fuel on the dyno which can be done in a few runs, basically the old $150 power run thing. Plus side you get a new dyno sheet :)

• Member For: 5y 3m 24d

Ok so now my car has lost boost pressure, can't get over 10psi now, I didn't hear any bad noises at all. It was making 15psi, then later that day went for another drive and it's only making 7psi sometimes 10psi. I took wastegate off and checked it out and put the stock spring back in it. Diaphragm looks ok. Went for another drive, no change!  Then took tube off wastegate that goes to bottom port, (the one that opens the gate) and put a bolt in it to block it off, went for a drive again to see if it would boost, carefully ofcourse. It would get to 10psi only. I thought the exhaust manifold pressure could have been opening the valve a little bit. Then I pressure tested piping from compressor outlet to throttle body, no leaks there, I pressure tested boost reference hose off compressor housing to test for leaks thru the stock boost solenoid. No leaks. I pressure tested compressor housing back to airbox, no leaks. I havnt put air through hose that goes onto bottom port of wastegate to pressure test back to the boost solenoud. There could possibly be a leak from throttle body to inlet manifold but iv looked at all fittings on plenum. I'm baffled, hoping engine isn't damaged, motor sounds fine, same oil pressure, just won't make boost!! What could it be, I'll go pressure test wastegate bottom port hose up to solenoid that could have a hole, would be nice if it does. Any ideas? Does the stock boost solenoid bleed off pressure? Could it be stuffed or malfunctioning? I could run a hose directly from compressor outlet to top port on wastegate to hold it shut and blank off bottom port and see if it makes boost?? Or is bypassing the stock boost solenoid a very bad idea because the ecu gets no signal?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
12 minutes ago, Slowxr6t said:

I'll go pressure test wastegate bottom port hose up to solenoid that could have a hole, would be nice if it does.

This would make more boost pressure due to the way boost control works.

13 minutes ago, Slowxr6t said:

Does the stock boost solenoid bleed off pressure?

That's how it works and how it can increase boost pressure. Google how a 3 port boost solenoid works.

14 minutes ago, Slowxr6t said:

I could run a hose directly from compressor outlet to top port on wastegate to hold it shut and blank off bottom port and see if it makes boost??

You could but there's not much point. You already ran it without a boost reference and that should have made roughly double the wg spring pressure as boost. You don't need to block off either port when using the top or the bottom side of the gate, but it's ok if you do.

15 minutes ago, Slowxr6t said:

Or is bypassing the stock boost solenoid a very bad idea because the ecu gets no signal?

The pcm doesn't get a map/boost signal from the boost solenoid. It gets the signal from the tmap sensor and or the boost sensor. You can run a hose from the pre tb intercooler piping/compressor housing to the bottom port of the wastegate and you should get roughly spring pressure as boost pressure.

21 minutes ago, Slowxr6t said:

Diaphragm looks ok.

Even if you did pinch the diaphram it would just make more boost.

Just another thought, maybe the wastegate just came loose and is bypassing exhaust gas?

All of that aside, maybe you have a boost leak. I'd just give the wg a quick check for the fire ring and tightness then move onto looking for a boost leak.

Of course you can do whatever you want, I'm just chucking in my 3 cents and maybe something else is happening that I didn't cover. :)

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

No worries mate, it's just ideas to think about.

I wonder if your catalytic converter is failing and restricting the exhaust? That would cause a boost drop.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
3 hours ago, Slowxr6t said:

took tube off wastegate that goes to bottom port, (the one that opens the gate) and put a bolt in it to block it off, went for a drive again to see if it would boost, carefully ofcourse

He's already checked if it would boost to the moon.

A failing boost solenoid will give you a range of minimum gate spring pressure aka boost, 10psi up to maximum boost of 20psi.

So yeah nah ;)

Seems like the boost reference has been ruled out according to the given info.

As always you can't rely on customer info, no offence @Slowxr6t, so we'll have to wait and see how this pans out.