What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Henz

• XR50T
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 27d

Started to fix a combination of 2 things.
1, I got a new toolbox for the tray because dumb me didn't realise my existing toolbox would foul on the sports bar arms.

2, Mounted and wired a fuse box with relays and a seperate enclosed buss bar in the toolbox so it's ready to put in one weekend when I can be bothered.

The new fuse box is for all the fuel pumps so I'll be able to remove the PW style loom that has already melted once.

Will be mounting the battery and isolator switch in the right side of this box when I swap it in.e9eb50efd0c7905d6268d754f9394b50.jpg

• Like 2

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Put petrol in today, how farken exciting. $120 later...27 litres of e85 and 35 litres of 98 had filled it up. I guess it's around the e40 mark, if it's actually e85 from the pump. I get it from a racetrack so it might be???

Gave it a boot full and she goes real good when the intercooler is cold which is often in this weather. Still on 14/15psi though.

I started up some of my other cars this afternoon, or at least tried to. The fuel pump in the r31 has carked it so she no go, the landrover is running on 6 or 7 cyl but still had a bit of a warm up, the hectic vn had a full heat cycle with a bit of backyard tuning chucked in and the honda van did the same thing it's been doing for the last 310,000km...just starts and runs.

Not a car but has 4 wheels and a motor, I adjusted the deck belt on the mower by moving the vt Late model camira idler pulley I installed, and now it mows great.

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Yeah I figured I'd better start them up every now and then. Clearly not enough maintenance though, due to the failed pump in the r31 and probably farked plugs in the landrover, flat tyres all round bar the van, and coolant leak that eventuated from the vn.

They'll get some love eventually.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 2m 28d

Today I finally got the ball rolling with my engine rebuild/upgrade!

Since I destroyed the oil pump and timing chain and associated parts, I have been a little bit cautious about where and how much $$$ to spend on my turned money pit..

And consequently it sat in Dad's garage with no motor gathering dust for the past month.

But last week he asked me when I'm going to get it out of his way!

So I started to price new pistons, timing chain kits and all the other goodies I needed to get it back together as cheap as possible.

When I suddenly come across a set of new Spool pro drag conrods advertised, dirt cheap...

So I ended up buying them, and started to dream about how much power I should build the bottom end to handle!

So I took the block to get sonic tested and measured up to see what oversized pistons to order.

And as soon as the machine shop called me to give the ok for a 20 thou rebore, and all cylinder walls were over 140 thou thick.

I ordered a new set of Manley forged pistons with rings.

Gotta take the crankshaft over tomorrow to get measured up, then I will order a full set of ACL race series bearings.

Now I'm starting to get excited again!

• Like 4

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

Drove it hard on the way back from playing cricket tonight on some back roads, a brand-new-ish VW Golf R was following me through the roads and we had a lot of fun :) I'm sure he would have been surprised that he couldn't keep up with me. I wish I had video running during that run, as it was heaps of fun :icon_ford: :3gears:

• Like 5

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1m 17d

^This sort of a jog always makes the drive home from work entertaining, especially when it's with something that handles well

Much prefer to be in front... I was chasing an STI (the Subaru type ok) through some twisties a while back and nearly re-shaped his bumper & boot when he braked a fair bit earlier and harder than expected into a tight-ish left hander.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

100% better to be in front. When he followed me onto the start of the road as I booted it up to "just slightly" above the speed limit (not enough for a fine, of course :P ) and he was on my tail pretty hard (a bit before the twisty section), so I thought I'd test him out and he stayed within visibility for the main-er roads but once we got to the twisty bit he had nothing :)

• Like 2