What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Henz

• XR50T
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 18d
On 16/02/2019 at 2:00 PM, arronm said:
Doenst really matter with a twin plate. The smaller the OD on the flywheel the better.

If you look at both pics they are they have the same usable surface area, FG is only bigger outside of that. Less mass is a good thing but they're pretty much the same weight as the outer ring is thicker with the b series flywheel.

On 15/02/2019 at 3:07 PM, tazzanz said:
Ah I see, FG flywheel looks like a monster compared to the BA BF. Sweet looking bell housing why did ya put a T56 one on? They not make a SFI TR6060 - Barra one?

It's the only SFI bell housing for the Barra its made to b series - T56 spec.

Fits BA-FG, needs a B series flywheel, bolts up to T56/TR6060/T56 Magnum.

Would not run a stock bell housing after seeing how well built these are. Stock is a joke in comparison.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 8m 18d
5 minutes ago, OZYWALKER said:
6 hours ago, arronm said:
Doenst really matter with a twin plate. The smaller the OD on the flywheel the better.

If you look at both pics they are they have the same usable surface area, FG is only bigger outside of that. Less mass is a good thing but they're pretty much the same weight as the outer ring is thicker with the b series flywheel.

Wow so the stock FG Flywheel wouldnt offer anymore clamp over an BA BF then

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 8m 18d

My dilemma, Jim Berry my clutch builder has recommenced I supply a FG Fly wheel for him to build a clutch off as the FG Flywheel is larger (Larger = More surface area more clamp) But looking at Ozy’s pics I’m not so sure. Below is a stock BA BF flywheel hard to tell from pics. ed30efe3ef0e071a10da4b662f6aca2a.jpg

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

coefficient of friction and the associated surface area of contact is the maximum clamping force able to be applied... so my assumptions are that the surface area that the clutch is actually contacting is the same on both flywheels and the surface of each flywheel has the same coefficient of friction... but those are just assumptions :) can't see any other good reasons to increase the size of the flywheel other than to increase the surface area of contact... maybe better contact with the starter motor teeth? hmmm