What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Henz

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

Use a small USB  snake camera down the bores to check each piston, bore and head. Detention kills the pistons at the edge, and breaks away sections adjacent to the top ring.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

I was logging when it broke and it wasn't knocking. The log looks really good actually.

The motor is getting rebuilt so no need for a camera.

I'll post a pic or two when I get it apart.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

I got it all apart and it looked like I thought it would. No signs of detonation and one cracked piston. 

The pics tell the tale mostly but if it's hard to see then I can tell yas that it's cracked the ring lands, bent the rings and cracked through the piston about a quarter of the way around where the second ring goes.

One thing that has me wondering is the broken piston is completely clean for some reason where the other 5 aren't. Could the oil have cleaned it off on the short drive home? It was burning a fair friggin bit from that cylinder. I did clean the piston crowns when I assembled it and it only ran for a few weeks so the carbon build up is very slight.

More to the story, after a few weeks I replaced the plugs as it felt a bit sluggish on boost. It picked up a lot of power when I swapped the plugs and immediately after I swapped them, I went for a drive and it broke.

qYzHMQJ.jpg

VnQS0Y9.jpg

p9r6fiZ.jpg

YsAFQLF.jpg

• Like 1