What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Henz

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

The funny part is this proves pretty much what J@ said above as correct, as the "1000hp" mentioned by J@ is the power at the crank, which is around about 600rwkW on these cars. Around this mark is where cams can start to have a reasonable impact like shown in those graphs. Either way, all of that extra power will definitely help at the race track :spoton:

• Like 1

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 7y 8m 3d

Yeah but this also depends on cam profile and lets not forget lift.of said cam profile as well... 

Cams come in different sizes and obviously these cams are designed for power/rev rather than mid range or low end torque, but that's nothing new and I dont see why its being used as an argumentative point to say they are useless in a said power range

Edited by MBAF
  • Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

nobody is saying they are useless in the power range around 1000hp+  ;)

they are just not practical for *most* regular street cars. There are easier and better ways to get the same power figures and retain the "similar to factory" road manners.

• Like 1

• XR50T
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 17d

I'm thinking I gotta get some cams now, always wanted that sound from the car. Not like the utes that practical anyway. Well I raised the front a little so it doesn't scrape too much yesterday so maybe slightly more practical than last week lol.

Should have the zorst sorted out next Saturday and the tailshaft sometime between now and then. Then it's off to CMS for a proper tune and maybe a set of cams.

• Like 2

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 18d

Kind of all suppprts what I’ve said and again not trying to take the wind out out the sails here but an aftermarket camshaft ( especially over the FG profile ) shouldn’t be “big” or else you’ll introduce a bunch of negatives that you’ll hope the positives will offset, usually they don’t that's all 

to get hectic sound requires big profile 

most of the lower profile cams are actually very sedate lump wise 

from my first hand experience and having to tune them I wouldn’t look at TBRE’s

just sayn ;) 

• Like 1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 22d
10 hours ago, tazzanz said:

a7e6fddfb46eed97a11f8fd7b3cb9a1f.jpg

Back to back runs apparently with only cams and springs changed.

Great for race car.  

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

Farken hell I go to bed early and it's all happening in here :stirthepot:

A few points that I think were overlooked here are;

Why should a person get a larger cam in their car? Picking a cam based upon it's noise or idle is like picking a carnt of a woman to marry based on her looks. You pick a cam based on it's effect upon the powerband and economy. I don't gaf what anyone says about being able to afford to fill up every 300km, that has fark all to do with how a car should be built or tuned for the desired power output.

Another point and without going into it too much, it's important to realise that you never just drop a cam in and not tune it or change springs to suit. That would be like dropping injectors in and not tuning them. In the dyno example posted, yes the power was up and the curve was moved but tuning cams is part and parcel of installing them. It's also a great example of choosing the right cam for the application as a stock falcon couldn't use that larger cam properly.

Another point is that when choosing a cam you need to consider the entire engine and indeed the entire driveline and how it's built. When installing a big cam/s it is common practice to up the static compression a sh*tload to compensate for the dynamic compression loss that the cams will introduce. A big cam is designed to bring in more air through it's powerband thus bringing cylinder pressures up and wont do that properly if it has lost dynamic compression. It'll feel like a pile of sh*t down low cos it has fark all cylinder pressure there. Introducing cam timing into this is just another layer upon the foundation and should be used to complement rather than mitigate cam choice.

Fwiw our stock cams can make a ton of power and still have the low end pull that's desired in traffic, still retain good economy and can have a car sound nearly stock with mild exhaust mods.

Tl;dr I like pies.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 22d

Yes and no. A lot of what you report is less relevant for forced induction. I would say cams just are not needed on a street car. But on drag or race car. YEP lots of power to be had between 6000-7500rpm,

You wont make over  1000rwkw at 6k

Edited by arronm