Coolant Turned To Brownish Colour

sassXR6T

• Member For: 11y 8m 25d

Just to clarify,

Yes my car is an Auto.

No I will not be keeping the water in there. I was just asking if it would be ok to dump all my existing coolant. Fill her up with tap water, run it for a bit then dump that out and try to flush it with a hose? Just to make sh*t easier.

The only reason I am worried about that is because of the underground plumbing for the water systems as we all know have been down there for a number of years and sh*t, if you look at the inside of your tap you know what I am talking about.

More worried about particles of rust or calcium build up in the engine/radiator.

It will be only for a flush out, then the new coolant will be put in.

If demineralised water is the better option where do I get a decent amount of it from?

• 2 months later...
  • Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 8m 20d

that's a pretty smik looking coolant reservoir there :thumbsup:

yeah had this issue as well with my BA 2004 auto T - PitLane did the flush for me - told me it took several flushes to get all the brownish water out - been good for the past 12 months - not as lime soft drink likes your's mate - but I can still tell it's green.

Can anyone tell me if it's okay to top up with Tectalloy 90+ if you don't know what was previously used as the coolant? Or is it better just to top it up with demineralised water? My reserviour needs topping up now - thanks.

• BANNED
  • Banned
  • Member For: 16y 11m 28d

that's a pretty smik looking coolant reservoir there :thumbsup:

yeah had this issue as well with my BA 2004 auto T - PitLane did the flush for me - told me it took several flushes to get all the brownish water out - been good for the past 12 months - not as lime soft drink likes your's mate - but I can still tell it's green.

Can anyone tell me if it's okay to top up with Tectalloy 90+ if you don't know what was previously used as the coolant? Or is it better just to top it up with demineralised water? My reserviour needs topping up now - thanks.

$45 repco let me know if ya would like one .. I normally paint mine gloss black...

I use normal tap water for top up's mate , but I do a flush every 12 months anyway..

I split my original rad end tank/ trans cooler years ago running ONLY water *sigh* never again ..

Bigger rad now and 50/50 glycol mix :)

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 5m 15d

Hmmm my overflow tank is really yellow looking. Pretty much getting close to the point where you cant see the coolant inside it. The coolant looks pretty brown too. Might be time for a flush. Just to clarify how many liters of demineralised water and nulon coolant to make up the right amount of liters to fill the tank?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 5m 15d

Doing my coolant now, and check out the state of it!!!!! That black spots in the overflow tank is dirt. And I have already washed half of it out!

The colour of the coolant is quite brown with a tinge of green in it. I got a feeling the previous owner was a wackjob and didnt know how to look after carspost-48623-13510487966_thumb.jpg

post-48623-135104883073_thumb.jpg

.post-48623-135104885559_thumb.jpg

post-48623-135104888158_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 6m 11d

going to give this a crack today. bought a new thermostat and gasket as well. ive got 15L of distilled water and 5L of Nulon concentrate. I think my biggest hurdle is figuring out how to get as much old coolant out as I can.