Snow Chains On Fg Xr6T (With Video)

MattLacey

• Member For: 12y 7m 2d

Hey Guys,

A while back I was looking around for information on whether to put snow chains on my FG XRT6, and it was suggested that I pick up some territory wheels.

I did that, had 235/45/17 tyres put on them (did all four so I can have some track fun when the weather warms up) and then got hold of some Konig K7 chains which are 7mm and designed for cars without much clearance. I've just tested them out, and used my phone to see what was going on behind. I'm comfortable with the gaps and a slow roll down the driveway with all windows down didn't result in any untoward noises. Going to head to the snow tomorrow, and hopefully won't need them, but if I do I'll be sure to report back.

Either way, here's some of the footage I recorded which shows the clearance this chain & wheel combo does have, hopefully it'll help some others out.

Edited by MattLacey

• Member For: 12y 7m 2d

Yeah I only saw those after buying my wheels, oh well :) I didn't need the chains this weekend, but I did see a couple of other XR6s and a super shiny 50th up there — makes me wonder if those guys were just banking on not needing chains or just don't know that the crappy hire chains are likely to do some crazy damage.

I was looking at the chains people were hiring and they're not elegant, definitely wouldn't want to be putting them on my alloys!