What To Expect When Buying An Xr6 Turbo Ba

Momentum80

• Member For: 11y 10m

The one I was looking at got sold. None-the-less thanks for all the posts.

Finding one that is in pristine condition within my budget will be difficult.

I am not really looking to modify the car, just a nice car that I can enjoy while I'm at uni for the next few years, I will probably put some money into minor things but nothing that the majority of you would consider 'modding'.

BA is probably all I can afford with a Turbo.

If anyone is selling theres how much are you looking to sell it for?

Still trying to find one, mainly with these criteria. Would prefer a Manual but auto is Ok. Leather interior and sunroof preferred. Lower K's (sub 170) preferred. I think that's about all haha.

Anyone know how much it would cost to buy an alternator and how much it would cost to install? (how hard is it to do this on my own?)

Thanks.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y

Random question, but you mentioned uni so do P plate restrictions apply?

What's your budget and location, fair chance there'll be someone on here that would be able to point you in the right direction.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 21d

I'm nearly ready to sell mine but am in Townsville, Qld. I think I will put $14500 on it and see if someone throws an offer!

If they come for a spin in my car with me then they will most likely throw me an offer (or throw up), lol...

• Special needs member.
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 7m 18d

Anyone know how much it would cost to buy an alternator and how much it would cost to install? (how hard is it to do this on my own?)

Thanks.

I got my BA XT wagon alternator reconditioned for $180 including removal/refitting should be the same as XR. Should be able to pick up a reconditioned one for under $200 and fitting isn't that hard. Pretty easy to do yourself in 10-20min.

• Member For: 11y 10m

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/banjup/cars/2003-ford-falcon-xr6-turbo-cheap-as/1003715487

Currently talking to this seller. Seems like a nice guy, I'm just wondering if there is anything to do to double check it is only the alternator that is the problem? And should there be anything I can expect to pay on top of that (problems with the car that are unforseeable or commonly go wrong). Have asked and he says it's fine only the alternator, I could buy and replace, and I can afford this car.

Would still have to do a full inspection and double check everything and maybe get some additions later on for the car (Stripes, New Wheels,Leather package etc.)

But overall what are your thoughts/advice?

Thanks, Sam

• Inactive Members
  • Member For: 13y 8m 8d

check the oil filter in the feed to the turbo has been regulary seviced, someting the factory has overlooked, also have a listen to the turbo after switching the motor off for any turbo berring noise.

consider fitting an earls aftermarket oil feed to the turbo as the factory feed blocks due to filter issues resulting in turbo failure

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 8m 19d

Debadging could also be because it has been rear-ended and they couldn't be stuffed putting new badges on. Also, a fave of RHR is when they put the turbo badge higher up on the rear boot than normal (they usually put it mid way up when in actual fact it usually lower - when you check out a few Ts you'll see what I mean by lower).

Surprising nobody has mentioned brake shudder yet as well. One of the most common issues with BAs. Just about every BA I've had has brake shudder (had 2 so far - didn't have brake shudder in the BF). But that's possibly not expensive to resolve - most people replace the front rotors and pads for dba 4000 slotted rotors and Bendix pads (I use the Heavy Duty Bendix pads - no squealing and hardly any brake dust). That would cost you around $400 supplied and fitted - cheaper if you fit yourself but I'd recommend you let the pros do the brakes.

Not all leather seats are same. I also went looking for leather and found that some fat arses had taken their toll and I might as well have been sitten in tub rather than a leather seat it sagged that much :roflmbo:

Someone already mentioned look for over-spray on rubber seals and screw heads I think - but check that the screw heads look untouched. You can tell if they have been removed and screwed back in as there's usually - how can I put it - a shadow of where it used to be? You can usually see it has been unscrewed and then screwed back in but not seated where it originally was on the paint work. Especially around the side in the engine bay and check the doors - usually have to remove the doors to respray them (not aways). But could indicate structrural damage repair. Not that affects a 2003 BA but I tried to have Ford redo my paint work under warranty but they said the doors had been removed before which could suggest someone had resprayed them and did a dodgy job (which was why I was trying to get Ford to cover respraying under warranty because I thought they had done the dodgy job :roflmbo: )

Had the plastic oil filler cap break off into pieces on mine. For $20 or less, you can buy an alloy oil billet cap and save yourself a hundred or so in labor having someone fish out bits of plastic from inside your engine when the plastic thread does disintegrate when you go to unscrew it to top up the oil.

Do check the rubber hoses in the engine bay. They are not meant to last and do split under heat - been there done that. Bloody inconvenient as well.

I too was looking for a sun roof - but as the car ages, possibility of leaks increase. You won't find many with a sun roof - I looked and didn't see many. So leather no. 1 then premo sound no. 2 then tow bar no. 3 were my priorities after finding a color in a T that I liked. Tow bar is not only useful for trailers but hear they are also a poor mans rear sensors :nono:

Anyway, good luck with the search. Jump on the WA chat forum and post up links of potential cars your interested in as welll - some of the fellas there may even know the history of the car or minimum could scan the pics for things that give you some good hints about the vehicle. You may be lucky enough to have someone come out with you when you've shorted listed one or 2 - go along to some cruise meet points and build up some rapport with the fellas - we're a friendly bunch :beerchug:

• Like 1