My Stock G6 To Manual Turbo Build.

apolloxbgt

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 2m 19d

Ok so my car is not a g6e,and will have an xr6t driveline so I wasn't really sure where to put this.Given it looks more like g6et I thought in here would be the go.Has anyone been silly enough to convert a g series to manual yet,or am I the first?

About 8 months ago I started out with a stock lightning strike silver 2010 G6 with a zf,tech pack and curtain airbags,ex govt from the auctions.

First thing I did when I got it was dump it,fit g6et 19's and a g6et rear lip spoiler,the spoiler and wheels were here before the car turned up.

I drove it around for a couple of months,then stuck a v8 bonnet on it.

It looks like this right now:

IMG-20120112-00340_exposure.jpg

IMG-20120112-00333_exposure.jpg

Not long after buying an n/a FG I realised I wanted a boosted one,but I already had this one looking how I wanted it too (well except for getting it a bit lower),so I decided to buy a doner car and swap the running gear.

The plan is to get the stock driveline in the car and running,drive it for a month or 2 and give it a good shakedown,then start to up the power.

Enter fg #2:

I bought this rolled 2010 fg xr6 manual from the auctions:

IMG-20120608-00825.jpg

Today the build began by starting to strip the xr of it's turbo'd manual'd goodness:

IMG-20120621-00841.jpg

IMG-20120621-00840.jpg

At the end of the first day the engine is about ready to drop out,by lunch time tomorrow the whole lot will be out on the ground.

The aim is to try and have the silver car in at ford by mid next week to get it flashed,whats the odds that blows out LOL.

Edited by Dagabond
Title Changed.
  • Like 1

• Spooling Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 17d

Kudos for going ahead with what could be a much more expensive and time consuming procedure than selling and buying another.

Very interested to see how it goes.

Out of interest, what did the written off xr set you back?

• Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 1m 3d

Whatever he paid he will probably get back if he parts what he doesn't use out.

Do all the work yourself and it's not to expensive an exercise.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 2m 19d

Kudos for going ahead with what could be a much more expensive and time consuming procedure than selling and buying another.

Very interested to see how it goes.

Out of interest, what did the written off xr set you back?

I own both cars outright,so the expense doesnt worry me,and last time I checked there wern't any manual g series turbo's for sale at any price.

This particular wreck was worth somewhere near the cost of a new tremec.

Very interesting! You will need to swap looms over too... Hopefully no damage to the xr loom

Yeah,so we discovered today,the loom is fine thankfully.

I was going to rape the dash for the premium sound and black dash spears anyway,looks like it may be the whole dash.

It's not the first falcon I've done a dash in,I converted this stock xh to a V8 5 speed years ago:

xhute000113.jpg

xhute000234.jpg

I've built quite a few old falcons over the years too:

convosonvan.jpg

IMGP0277-1.jpg

IMGP0309.jpg

IMGP0708.jpg

DSC00175.jpg

22112010325.jpg

19022011564.jpg

So yeah,I like the old ones mostly,this is the first new car I've built.

hey buds do you have a hoist in your garage?? that is bloody awesome..

I have a hoist I can use for things like this,I'm building a new shed that will have one at home.

congrats on taking it on, what are you going to do about rego, insurance etc, going to get it engineered etc?

I've spoken to vicroads,the engine is an option in this body so no engineers is required,Insurance I havent sussed yet but it's in the wifes name so it shouldnt be too hard.I (she) have a couple of cars with shannons,I'll try them first.

• Like 4

• Skid Machine
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 10m 30d

Awesome project mate and what a great price for the wreck. I reckon you've done quite well to find a wreck at that price and you'll most definitely make some cash back from the left overs.

Love your list of cars too. Especially the last one :)