Mods To Fuel Consumption Comparison

s4squalo

• Member For: 11y 10m 6d

Hey all,

Had a good read over this forum, found some very good info! Especially liked the 'Mods to Power Comparison' and 'Modding your FG XR6T' threads. But when it comes to fuel consumption/modification advice, I've read too many conflicting arguments on the web, so I've come here for your advise!

Looking to purchase a FG 2010 XR6T, would love it to sit between 250-300rwkw, but I don't want to be paying through the nose for fuel!

If anyone could comment on how each modification (from knowledge or experience) affects fuel consumption, that would be greatly appreciated, especially in concerns to the FG XR6T.

Thanks in advance :-)

• Member For: 13y 9m 4d

Welcome aboard !!!

In general terms your consumption will go up. More power requires more fuel. However if you are not a lead foot your

cruising/highway consumption will tend down. This occurs because the Factory parameters are set to create both rich and lean cycles to keep the cat fired and working efficiently. When tuned this can be eliminated so that the vehicle is operating with optimium air/ fuel ratios. Therefore reduced consumption. But when you open it up, you will have increased consumption, based on the fact that you require greater amounts of fuel to produce greater power (but being tuned will allow for greater efficiency of the fuel used to produce the power). Good news is that all the extra air your using is still free. But then again, you require air (to burn) to produce carbon. So really, is it a carbon tax or an air tax?

This leads me (off topic somewhat) to think about the new carbon tax. For some time now C02 output levels have appeared on new cars. Could this carbon tax create a new way in which registrations costs are calculated ? Cheers

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 23d

Yay!!! Impellors back!!

So to summarise..

More Power + stompy foot = hurty bank balance.

Less power + stompy foot = slightly hurty back balance

More power + well tuned car + feather foot = happy bank balance(*)

Less power + feather foot + stock car = moderately happy bank balance

(*) it is yet to be proven that it's possibly for someone have have a high powered car and not suffer the symptoms of stomp foot.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the reply's guys!

Hmm, well then does that mean that there are no modifications that increase fuel efficiency whilst delivering more power? Ie produce more power given the same amount of fuel?

Not fussed about any environmental considerations. Given that a stock car must adhere to emmission standards, and is tuned accordingly, can it be retuned for better fuel consumption AND more power? Or is that an oxymoron?

• Member For: 13y 9m 4d

Thanks for all the reply's guys!

Hmm, well then does that mean that there are no modifications that increase fuel efficiency whilst delivering more power? Ie produce more power given the same amount of fuel?

Not fussed about any environmental considerations. Given that a stock car must adhere to emmission standards, and is tuned accordingly, can it be retuned for better fuel consumption AND more power? Or is that an oxymoron?

OK. I more time. More power requires more fuel. Simple really. Cheers

• Turboless
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 1m 28d

You can tune the car for better fuel economy but afaik that's just a tune. Soon as you add parts to better the power; impellors theory comes in..more power more fuel.

• Member For: 21y 25d

I disagree, more power equals less fuel. Leaning off the air fuel ratios from the factory settings at WOT will get you more power per litre of fuel used. So for the same amount of thrashing you will go further quicker. You will save fuel getting it tuned and modded.

• Skid Machine
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 11m

I have better fuel consumption with 300kw than I did with 200kw. Of course if you drive with your foot flat to the floor everywhere you'll use more fuel but whilst cruising the engine runs leaner.

Given the different opinions, it's safe to assume that different mods have varied results on fuel efficiency?

Eg, a CAI would improve power and fuel economy, but upgrading the fuel injectors would not only improve power/fuel economy (when cruising atleast), but unlike the CAI it would also allow the engine to consume more fuel when thrashed?

What about a retune, exhaust system, etc?