Transplanting Turbo F6 Engine To Ford Transit Build Thread

• Member For: 12y 5m 16d

Hi all,

I am transplanting a 2006 Territory Turbo engine into a (don't laugh!) 1975 Ford Transit van. I have the engine (two actually!) complete with wiring loom, ECU and everything else required. What I would like to know is, has anyone got a wiring diagram to show how the middle connector to the ECU is wired up on the Territory? (should be the same on BF Falcon I imagine) Also the diagram showing the OBD connector under the dash, so I can plug into the ECU for tuning purposes.

I believe I can have the ECU reflashed to ignore the (lack of) BEM and security key (PATS?) so that side of things shouldn't be too much problem. I will be running the ZF 6 speed automatic, this wiring is part of the engine loom anyway.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Conrad

post-48260-0-90577200-1339143799_thumb.j

post-48260-0-55872300-1339143804_thumb.j

Edited by conrod

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 5m 6d

Looking forward to seeing this done, make sure you keep posting pics and updates of it, just don't disappear like some people do and never see it through. Good luck with it all as you will have 1 very quick Transit.

Hi all,

I have done a lot of searching through this site, and not really found the answers I am looking for, so I do apologize in advance if it has been covered, and please feel free to point me in the direction of these answers should they be out there somewhere! But failing that, here goessmile.gif

I want to transplant a Territory turbo engine and a ZF 6 spd (Falcon) transmission into an old 1975 Ford Transit van. So far I have the van,the engine/wiring/ECU etc, and have already fitted a nine inch diff into it. The mechanical side of things is fairly straightforward, probably no harder than any other engine conversion, and I am quite confident I have this under control. I am using the Terri rad + fans, and bascially all OE turbo and coolant plumbing, for a "factory" look as well as ease of conversion. Surprisingly the layout of the Territory, including sump shape, intercooler placement, factory airbox and radiator header tank looks like it will all work fairly well in the old Tranny.yummy.gif

It is the electrical side I have some questions about. Now I am no noob to electrics (I am an auto electrician by trade) but I am not too familiar with these engines/electronics. I have the relevant wiring diagrams for this engine,(sent to me by a kind member on this forum!) and a quick look suggests it should not be too much of a problem to wire up. But there will be some issues, as I am putting this engine into an environment that is foreign to it, and as such will be missing a few signals such as from the BEM, security system, etc. I am trying to work out how many of these system can be programmed out, and if any have to be installed on the vehicle (such as wheel speed sensors)

I understand the engine ECU is coded to the transmission ECU, and that the transmission ECU (TCM?) is matched to the transmission. So with my mix-n-match approach, I can see there are going to be a few issues to resolve.

So firstly:

1.can the standard ECU be reflashed/reprogrammed to ignore the fact that there are no signals coming in from the BEM or security system?

2.I can get the original trans ECU/TCM from the Territory, should I grab this and then plug it in to a Falcon transmission and hope for the best, or do I:

3. buy a Falcon transmission with the matching TCM that came out of the car, and then get it coded to the engine ECU (I am assuming of course that this can actually be done?)

While I am planning the installation into a van, I think this thread is probably quite relevant for anyone wanting to transplant one of these engines into anything other than a B series Falcon. I know I could get the engine running on an aftermarket ECU such as a Motec M800 or Pectel, but the cost of the either system is quite high,(about as much as the engine/trans itself) and then it would require a new loom (or adaptation of the OEM loom) separate ignition drivers (in the case of the Motec) and then you need to spend a LOT of time on the dyno tuning it. The fact that it has Dual VCT means it is a far more complicated engine to tune from scratch than a non VCT type engine, and it could conceivably cost into the thousands just to get a good basic tune that the standard ECU already comes with. So at this point an aftermarket ECU is not an option I will entertain if there is any chance of running the stock ECU. Besides, the stock hardware(ECU and TCM) is superb now in regards to its functionality, control and tunability , so I believe it is worth my spending some time and money to overcome any issues to try and retain these.

I also think I could have as many (if not more) issues running the ZF trans in this combo, and for that reason have not bought a trans yet. The ZF 6 spd is certainly my preferred choice for this project, but if it does not look possible, I will fit a dirty old manual box to it instead.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to your comments and advice.

:locomotive:

Conrad

• Member For: 11y 9m 26d

There's a guy on boostedfalcon.com who's just done a transit, but with a sohc motor so a fair bit easier. You can send the ecu to a shop to get the security codes removed but you'd be better off buying a XCAL3 flash tuner and leaving it all with your tuner once you are wired up and ready to go. You'll need a custom tune to suit your custom exhaust and cooler piping anyway. I really don't know anything about the zf computer but once all the security has been removed I don't see why it and the ecu wouldn't talk to each other. Have you thought about who you would like to tune it? I would suggest talking to him at the beginning so he can set you on the right path.

Good luck, Pics ASAP!!!

There's a guy on boostedfalcon.com who's just done a transit, but with a sohc motor so a fair bit easier. You can send the ecu to a shop to get the security codes removed but you'd be better off buying a XCAL3 flash tuner and leaving it all with your tuner once you are wired up and ready to go. You'll need a custom tune to suit your custom exhaust and cooler piping anyway. I really don't know anything about the zf computer but once all the security has been removed I don't see why it and the ecu wouldn't talk to each other. Have you thought about who you would like to tune it? I would suggest talking to him at the beginning so he can set you on the right path.

Good luck, Pics ASAP!!!

Great, thanks for the advice, I will probably get Isaac Peformance to tune it, they are the NZ Herrod dealer, a good friend of mine has had two XR6T's tuned by them with good results. I will give them a call this week as you suggest. The installation should be relatively easy if I can get the electrics to work. All of the plumbing will be stock Territory (for now) so stock tune should be close for a kickoff, but will have large drainpipe fitted (plenty of room under a van for one!) and as always with a turbo anything, boost becomes addictive and you always want more, so best to get the groundwork sorted at the beginning. The engine has only done 63000kms and I paid NZ$2700 for everything, including rad and fans, ECU, wiring, intercooler, all plumbing etc etc. The same place will sell me a ZF trans and TCM for NZ$1500 so not an expensive combo!

1. Yes all the major tuning software for these cars can deactivate PATS.

2.No

3.This is your best solution

Where are you located mate?

Great, good to know that. I will make sure I get the trans with its matched TCM. I am in Auckland NZ. Plenty of XR6T's over here, including a lot of tweaked ones. Kiwis know they are a performance bargain too! :)

Couple of pics attached, early days yet, but you get the idea. Most of the work will be in the resto of the bodyshell, but rust is minimal so shouldn't be too bad (famous last words) I don't have any pics of the van, but it is the same shape as the red van below. Performance shouldn't be too bad either, these old buses weighed less than 1500kgs with a V4 engine, so should end up around 1600kgs with the T6 fitted. Should be quite fast to 100kph, after which the aerodynamics will take over!

I really would like to run a ZF 6 speed, but it looks increasingly like a difficult proposition, as I am told the TCM is coded to the ECU, and I cannot just bolt a BF/FG trans on the back and get it to work. So what I am wondering is, can the 4WD trans be easily converted to 2WD by utilising the tailshaft housing/output shaft from the 2WD box? Or is there a lot more parts that require changing? Anyone had one apart, or have a parts catalogue of the two showing an exploded view? I can get the original trans from the Terri my engine came out of.

Other than that it looks like it might have to be a manual box:(

post-48260-0-74345900-1339396938_thumb.j

post-48260-0-60303100-1339396948_thumb.j

post-48260-0-16019700-1339397018_thumb.j

post-48260-0-65630100-1339397292_thumb.j

Edited by Dagabond
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...