Replacement Key Options

Benny_C

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 2m 18d

The locksmith came out to my house this arvo, I had the car unlocked by RAA the night before though I doubt this would have made a difference, he took the door trim off the drivers door and removed the lock, took it to his van, the barrels have a few indicator lines inside what looks to be an inspection port, he then put the keys in the cutting machine and cut the keys to match the lock/barrel. Went to my car, plugged a diagnostic tool in behind the fuse panel somewhere and removed the old keys/coded the new keys to the car with them in the ignition, this took about 10 minutes. it also gave him the option to teach a central locking unit to the car which we did. all up took about an hour and cost me $450, ford quoted $550 for just the 2 keys plus $130 per remote and I had to get it towed there. Top bloke and a hefty saving.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 2m 18d

for $450 a car you could have a pretty full and exotic garage, he didn't ask me to prove the car was mine or anything either.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 29d

Thanks for coming back and posting the update, will no doubt help someone else in the future. :thumbsup:

I guess the massive difference in total price is for the two barrels that Ford would supply, plus their standard sucker surcharge.

Glad it's all sorted. Certainly highlights the benefit of having at least one spare key.

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 11y 7m 21d

Hey Guys,

Based in Southern Sydney

This thread helped me out a lot and saved me a lot of money too. Same sold story dropped my only set of keys for my BA XR6T down the drain in torrential down pour last night. Had to tow her home $130 as I couldn't lock the car up and was sitting in the main street. Rang ford this morning and was told id have to bring the car in to the dealer ship to have new keys cut coded and programmed etc.

Ford quoted me

$292.46 X 2 cut keys

$124 x 1 remote

$66 programming

$416 total plus towing $130

$546 total expensive and not very helpful as my wheels where locked all the way to the left.

EZY locksmiths were contacted around 9AM and turned up at lunch

They turned up stuck there tool in the barrel to get the correct cut . Cut and programmed the keys within 30 mins Awesome work!

For $340 I got

2x programmed keys

Mobile service ( came to me meaning no tow truck)

Eftpos and Credit card facilities available

I'm very happy with the service and recommend these guys to anyone in the same situation. Still an expensive exercise but lesson learnt by me to always have a spare set.I hope this helps someone in the future if in Sydney.

Guys details are

EZY Locksmiths

www.ezylocksmiths.com.au

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 15y 9m 7d

Summary:

- BA, BF and FG Falcons all use a 4D60 immobiliser chip.
- You can buy blanks easily from various places in China very cheaply.
- The BA Falcon key is the same as a Ford Mondeo key, so if you have a BA then just order a Mondeo key. The Mondeo also uses a 4D60 chip, so all you have to do is get the key cut and then you can code it to the car yourself. Very easy.
- The BA and FG Falcon use the same blank as a Ford Focus, but the Focus uses a 4D63 immobiliser chip. Thus, you either need to order the key blanks without chips and order the chips separately, or ask the supplier if they can supply the key blank with a 4D60 chip in it.
- Doing this with a BF-style key is no big deal - the blanks come apart easily and clip together once you’ve put the 4D60 chip in it.
- Doing this with an FG-style flip key is a lot harder. There are photos around somewhere that show how to dismantle a flip key to replace the clip (it’s actually a glass transponder). I would suggest that you ask the supplier if they can supply a Ford Focus flip key with a 4D60 transponder in it instead of the usual 4D63.

Note: I wanted several spare keys for two taxis. If you're only after one or two keys, then you're probably better off paying $20-25 each for the blanks on eBay.

A few months ago, I bought some key blanks from Honrow. The immobiliser chips didn't work, as they were 4D63.

I recently ordered some 4D60 chips separately from Honrow.

I put those chips in some of the Chinese blanks that I had cut a few months ago.

Attempted to get them coded to the car… success.

So, if anyone is looking for key blanks, you can order them from Honrow or other places on www.aliexpress.com

You will need to order the key blanks with chips (ie the cases only) and then order the chips separately. The key blanks come apart easily and you just put a chip into each one.

ie
Part Name: Ford Focus transponder key shell
Part Number: Ford-SH-02
Price: $US1.30
Link: http://www.honrow.com/ProductShow.asp?ID=145

Part Name: ID4D60 (T16) Carbon Transponder
Part Number: HTC-13
Price: $US3.30
Link: http://www.honrow.com/ProductShow.asp?ID=242

I can confirm that the above two items work. I have bought and used them in my BFIII wagon. There is no difference between these key blanks (at a cost of $US4.60 each) and the blanks that you can buy from a Ford dealer (at $130-150 each).

For a flip key (if you manage to get the thing apart):
Part Name: ID4D60 (T7) Glass Transponder
Part Number: HTC-12
Price: $US2.90
Link: http://www.honrow.com/ProductShow.asp?ID=241

I didn’t ask Honrow if they could supply either the normal blanks or flip keys with 4D60 chips in them - I should have. I would assume that they can do this.

For a flip key to suit a BF or FG, we want this one:

Part Name: Ford Focus remote key with 4D63 chip 433MHZ
Part Number: Ford-RH-01
Price: $US20.00
Link: http://www.honrow.com/ProductShow.asp?ID=795
BUT… with a 4D60 glass transponder in it (ie the HTC-12 above) instead of the 4D63. I’m about to email Honrow right now and see if that’s possible.

This is also an option - an all-in-one key (ie key and buttons), but without the flip function:
Part Name: Ford Focus Remote key with 4D63 chip and 434MHZ
Part Number: Ford-RH-09
Link: http://www.honrow.com/ProductShow.asp?ID=803
But, as with the flip key, it needs to have a 4D60 transponder in it instead of the 4D63. I’ll be asking Honrow about this one as well.

I’ll also be looking for somewhere on the outside of the car where I can store a key without a chip, so that if the normal key somehow gets locked in the car then I can access the chip-less key to at least open the driver’s door.

I still haven’t found a source for the older BA/BF remotes, aside from finding the occasional one individually on Gumtree and eBay for around $30.

A repost of some notes about coding keys and remotes (including how to code keys when you only have one existing key):

How To Program Falcon Remotes:

Sit in the car with the doors closed

Turn the ignition to the ACC position and press the rear demist button 3 times, within 5 seconds.

You then press a button on the first remote to be trained , the door locks will cycle.

Then press a button on the 2nd to be trained and the door locks will cycle again.

Repeat this step for the the rest of the remotes to be trained to the car.

The first keypad trained will result in one door lock cycle, the second will result in 2 door lock cycles, and so on.

There is a limit of 8 remotes per car.

Turn the ignition to the OFF position to exit the learning mode.

Your remotes are now programmed to your car.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To code additional keys:

Sit in the driver’s seat with doors closed.

Put the first coded key into the ignition & turn to the ACC position (first position/click).

Turn this key to the OFF position & remove the key.

Within 5 seconds put the 2nd coded key into the ignition & turn this key to the ON position.

Turn this key back to the OFF position and remove the key.

The door locks will then cycle to indicate that the learning mode is active.

Within 5 seconds put the new un-programmed key into the ignition & turn to the ON position.

The door locks will cycle 3 times to indicate the 3rd key has been trained , ensure you wait for the locks to finish cycling before turning the key to the OFF position.

Repeat this step for any following keys , The 4th key trained will cycle the locks 4 times, and so on. You can train up to a maximum of 8 keys.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/75683-programing-new-key-melb/page__pid__1127650#entry1127650

To code a second key with only one key:

Sit in the driver’s seat with doors closed.

Put the first coded key into the ignition & turn to the ACC position (first position/click).

Turn this key to the OFF position & remove the key.

Within 5 seconds put the 2nd coded key into the ignition & turn this key to the ON position.

With only one key:
Wrap the head of the key with tin foil a few times to shield it and within 5 seconds put the same coded key into the ignition & turn this key to the ON position.

Turn this key back to the OFF position and remove the key.

The door locks will then cycle to indicate that the learning mode is active.

Within 5 seconds put the new un-programmed key into the ignition & turn to the ON position.

The door locks will cycle 3 times to indicate the 3rd key has been trained , ensure you wait for the locks to finish cycling before turning the key to the OFF position.

Repeat this step for any following keys , The 4th key trained will cycle the locks 4 times, and so on. You can train up to a maximum of 8 keys.

Falcon_Key_Blanks.jpg

• Like 3

• Member For: 10y 5m 10d

Part Name: Ford Focus remote key with 4D63 chip 433MHZ

Part Number: Ford-RH-01

Link: http://www.honrow.co...Show.asp?ID=795

BUT… with a 4D60 glass transponder in it (ie the HTC-12 above) instead of the 4D63. I’m about to email Honrow right now and see if that’s possible.

This is also an option - an all-in-one key (ie key and buttons), but without the flip function:

Part Name: Ford Focus Remote key with 4D63 chip and 434MHZ

Part Number: Ford-RH-09

Link: http://www.honrow.co...Show.asp?ID=803

But, as with the flip key, it needs to have a 4D60 transponder in it instead of the 4D63. I’ll be asking Honrow about this one as well.

So I sent an email asking if it was possible to het the chips swapped out and they said they cannot swap them, unsure wether they wont or cant swap them though