Replacement Key Options

Benny_C

• Member For: 10y 5m 7d

To code a second key with only one key:

Sit in the driver’s seat with doors closed.

Put the first coded key into the ignition & turn to the ACC position (first position/click).

Turn this key to the OFF position & remove the key.

Within 5 seconds put the 2nd coded key into the ignition & turn this key to the ON position.

With only one key:

Wrap the head of the key with tin foil a few times to shield it and within 5 seconds put the same coded key into the ignition & turn this key to the ON position.

Turn this key back to the OFF position and remove the key.

The door locks will then cycle to indicate that the learning mode is active.

Within 5 seconds put the new un-programmed key into the ignition & turn to the ON position.

The door locks will cycle 3 times to indicate the 3rd key has been trained , ensure you wait for the locks to finish cycling before turning the key to the OFF position.

Repeat this step for any following keys , The 4th key trained will cycle the locks 4 times, and so on. You can train up to a maximum of 8 keys.

• Like 1

• Member For: 11y 8m 28d

yeah but keeps saying ...put the second "coded" key in ignition...I only have one (1) codded key...hence why im confused

then it says put the third key in.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 1m 6d

From my experience I can definitely tell you it's worth shopping around when it comes to keys and locksmiths. When I got my car I only got one key...previous owner "couldn't find" the original spare...which I call BS given he owned the car since new...but I digress. I ended up replacing all key barrels and got two flip keys for the new locks. Bought the lock set (new barrels and keys) and remote from ebay and took it all to SAS locksmith in Perth to replace all the barrels and code the keys. Cost $500 all up for everything.

• 7 months later...
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 11d

I have a genuine fg flip key from a mate who has onsold his car and found the spare much later.

I also have a new genuine Ford flip key 'blade' which I will have cut to match my bf2 non flip keys profile.

Having read Philmeups post I understand how to code the car to the key ( I have two keys already so I have that covered), but my question is this - do I have to get my standard remotes 'code' copied to the new flip key, or can the cars bcm be taught to accept the remote signal the fg key is transmitting?

All this coding has my brain hurting.

• 3 months later...
  • Member For: 15y 9m 3d

I bought an XR6 Turbo ute a few months ago and ended up losing the only key that I got with the car.

- Didn't want to wait weeks for key blanks to arrive from China (I've got spare BF blanks for my taxi, but no BA blanks), so found a locksmith on eBay that had blanks for a reasonable cost. Bought two flip keys and a normal one for around $90.

- A locksmith that I know got the key cutting codes from Ford after I supplied him with the VIN.

- He cut the keys once the blanks arrived. Didn't charge me for it. Win.

- I towed the car 6km to a nearby auto electrician, who coded the car to the keys for $99.

Total cost of around $190 and three keys for the car. I was lucky with getting the keys cut for free; that's normally around $30-40 per key.

• 8 months later...
  • Member For: 17y 1m 7d

Phil great post on page one. Could I just ask you update or remove the confusing text around coding a key if you only have 1 key. THIS DOES NOT WORK. I tried it a few times. My only option was a dealer to code my second key.

F.Y.I for others. I had one original key and no cutting code. Understand I can get that however I purchased one second hand (as new own FG key) removed the old blade, purchased a new blade and an FG key key from eBay for under $45. Got both blades cut at MrMinit and had Ford code the second key. With two keys I was able to then code my third eBay key with steps in the manual or as per Phil posted up.

Note. There is always a risk doing the old school MrMinint lathe style cut. Best option is get the cutting code for your car from Ford and then just go to a lock smith and ask that they cut you a new blade. BTW most locksmiths will only cut their own supplied blades or an OEM blade so you need a Ford invoice to prove purchase.

• 3 years later...
  • Member For: 5y 8m 4d
On 12/8/2013 at 11:46 AM, PhilMeUp said:

Summary:...

I just want to clarify that for the first key you only turn it to acc and 2nd, 3rd keys etc you turn to the on position ? for the "To code additional keys:" process