Replacement Key Options

Benny_C

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 2m 13d

So I've lost the only set of keys I got with my F6 ute 2 days ago, need to get a complete replacement set made up.

Wondering if anyone else has had to go through this and about their experiences, whether they used ford service/genuine or a locksmith and the big question, how much it hurt their wallet.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 30d

If you don't have at least one key, you will need to go and see Ford. Make sure youre ready to be reamed up the arse, it wont be cheap. Ive read of $600 to get one spare key made so in your case, expect that as a minimum. They are the only ones who have the codes to create a new key set for your car.

It sort of makes sense too, if anyone could make them, what's stopping me making sets to go and steal cars?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 2m 13d

Yeah I got a quote from a local locksmith here in Adelaide to come out and cut and code 2 new keys on site with 1 remote for $450, another said $400 for just the 2 keys and they can't do remotes. Seems like the $450 is about the best I'm going to get

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 1d

Pretty sure if you have no keys like already stated you have no choice but to visit fraud. Doubt that locksmith can do it for ya.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 30d

Yeah I got a quote from a local locksmith here in Adelaide to come out and cut and code 2 new keys on site with 1 remote for $450, another said $400 for just the 2 keys and they can't do remotes. Seems like the $450 is about the best I'm going to get

To code the remotes and keys, you need an existing remote. Basically, you can get the locksmith to cut the keys for $400 but you are still going to need to accept a reaming by Ford to code the keys and remotes so that they will actually unlock and start the car. You will be looking at a minimum of $600 for that. All up, I'd be budgeting for $1000 plus.

• Like 1

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 25d

You need to keep in mind that the keys and remotes are never coded by the end-user, they all have a unique code when they are manufactured and the car is then trained to recognise them. Theoretically you could have 100 different cars trained to one remote.

If you have existing keys/remotes then you can do this yourself as mentioned, but if not then the only way is for the BCM (or whatever acronym it is) to be re-programmed to recognise a new set of keys and remotes. I would assume that only Ford can do this and they would supply a new barrel etc. as well rather than trying to cut the key to match the barrel.

...and although the flip-key is one device, the key and remote still requires training separately.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 1d

Yea ive got two sets of keys with remotes then the flip key I acutally use, that way if I lose it I can sort it out myself with ebay and a key cutter.