Tuning? What Option Is Best?

itsagoanna

• Member For: 12y 4m 26d

Hi everyone,

Sorry if I'm doubling up here, delete this post if necessary but just want to know peoples oppinions on tuning for my fg xr6 turbo. It's currently got a CAI and I've replaced the turbo intake muffler with 3" pipe and replaced the bosch bov for a turbosmart dual port BOV.

Will it be more beneficial for me to get a proper dyno tune done or get a flash tune controller or what are good options?

Its purely a road vehicle and I'm not really after shaving milliseconds off my quarter mile time but do like a bit of a punch when I drop the right foot.

Also, and this is probably another topic but when its cold the revs surge around 200 - 400 rpm when you raise the revs a little bit. Idling it is steady but you can notice when you start driving aswell, the car surges a bit till it warms up. I read on here somewhere that a tune can fix this? It's been to ford for this problem but they took my money and gave the car back exactly the same :(

Any input would be appreciated!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 11m 14d

Hi mate sctx3 flash tune is what im running stores up to 3 programs stock and 2 modded tunes sounds like she is hunting at idle, hmm hasnt gone into limp mode which good, get it flash tuned, dynoed check out some of the tech forums here lots of good info the guys really know what their talking about hope this helps mate good luck lets hope it gets sorted and welcome!!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 1d

Basically go see the tuner and see what they use, get it dyno tuned whether you use a flash box (xcal3) or VCM is really dependant on the tuner.

Dont get a generic tune where they send you the box with the tune saved in it and no dyno time.

Edited by Wenier

• Member For: 12y 8m 13d

ive just started doing mine up mate ive put a fair bit of thort into it and changed my mind bout 5 times but so far I plan

new rubber best I can get $1400

new intercooler plasmaman 800hp $1100 can install this a few weeks before dyno tune urself

gut the cat and put straight though pipe inside, free but do this the day before dyno tune and do not drive the car only to the dyno shop and dont rev above 2000rpm also police/epa wont like this but new cat isnt cheap and I plan to do the exhaust at some stage as well but not now

injectors and dyno tune $2500 im gonna let the dyno shop choose what injectors they want hoping for bout 300 on about 14-15 psi on 98 tune than a 91 tune on stock boost the car still gos like the wind standard and my missus drives the car to work now so has to be a tune for her

few months later 6 months or so ill get 4inch turbo back system with 4 inch cat 5 inch body and turbo side intake battery reloacted in boot seeing that im in townsville a 108 e85 tune 500 bux 200L ill get they valve springs checkd and done if needed and a surge tank

• Member For: 12y 8m 13d

just depends what u want ive been told that standard they have about 230rwkw a dyno tune only get to about 270 were the injectors have ran out than at 280 the intercooler will run out than at 290-300 the cat becomes unreliable and dies than at 320-330 the turbo runs out at the same time the ehaust starts to run out than at 370 the pistons and rods are at there limit ( so my dyno tuners reckons) after than u start getting drive line problems

its a case of its 1750 for a tune to get 30kw more but if u spend 1000 more before u tune it itll get 50 more than a notherr 1000 and ull get 70 more than a nother 1000 and ull get 100 more

• Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 30d

ive just started doing mine up mate ive put a fair bit of thort into it and changed my mind bout 5 times but so far I plan

new rubber best I can get $1400

new intercooler plasmaman 800hp $1100 can install this a few weeks before dyno tune urself

gut the cat and put straight though pipe inside, free but do this the day before dyno tune and do not drive the car only to the dyno shop and dont rev above 2000rpm also police/epa wont like this but new cat isnt cheap and I plan to do the exhaust at some stage as well but not now

injectors and dyno tune $2500 im gonna let the dyno shop choose what injectors they want hoping for bout 300 on about 14-15 psi on 98 tune than a 91 tune on stock boost the car still gos like the wind standard and my missus drives the car to work now so has to be a tune for her

few months later 6 months or so ill get 4inch turbo back system with 4 inch cat 5 inch body and turbo side intake battery reloacted in boot seeing that im in townsville a 108 e85 tune 500 bux 200L ill get they valve springs checkd and done if needed and a surge tank

Your doing it right.

Edit: Ratters right about the boost but you should still come close to your goal.

Edited by Henz

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 11m 14d

If your trying to mod your car on the cheap I wouldnt (my opinion) do it right! bit by bit if you have to, that's my advice to you I did my car the same way bit by bit, things can get quite expensive when you start modding not everyone has the luxury of having lots of cash handy at one time to do these mods, in the end you will have a great car that's quick and most importantly RELIABLE!! good luck mate hope this helps!!

• Like 1