Premium Sound Icc Screen Issues

XF Falcon

• <put funny sh*t here>
  • Member For: 17y 5m 16d

Hi all

Was driving the car the other night, had the xbox turned on and was playing music videos for my passengers on the stock ICC screen. Was wiggling around with a few cables under the dash cos the audio was hissing a bit (I always wiggle it a bit and it fixes it untill the next time I drive it - I've learnt to live with this small inconvenience).

Anyway this time however, the screen flickered and it went black. The audio was still working, but the display is stuffed.

Basically now what happens, when the car is turned onto accessories the screen has like a 30% chance of working and the rest of the time it stays black and flickers (noticeable to the human eye but my video doesn't capture it properly).

When the screen decides to work, and you then start the car, the display will stop working and it will flicker/go black. The audio controls still work fine, just the display is buggered.

Here is a video of me turning the car onto accessories a few times to try get the display to work, and once it works I turn on the car to show you how it stops working.

I turned the lights on and off a few times to see if that has anything to do with it, and also adjusted the volume to show that it still works and the screen isn't on that "police mode" where it stays black unless you touch a button. Holding down the power button does not do anything either. I've checked the cables in the area where I usually wiggle them and they don't do much if I move them around. I pulled out the switch which turns the xbox on/off and one wire was a bit loose, but that is the power cable which runs from the battery to the xbox's DC power supply so all that would do is affect whether or not the xbox boots up. The xbox turns on and off properly once that wire was reconnected again. So I don't think that had anything to do with it,

So before I pull out the ICC and throw it against the wall in a fit of rage, I'm hoping someone with some experience/knowledge in this stuff can give me some suggestions as to what it could be?

Thanks

(NOTE: Video is still uploading and will be available approx 1:30pm Perth time) Edited by XF Falcon

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 5m 20d

try removing the xbox from the icc and see if correct operation is resumed

the plug is one one at the bottom of the ICC on the right hand side (white plug)

I suspect the ICC sat nav input pin is being pulled to ground

• <put funny sh*t here>

Tried that this evening with no luck.

With the white plug unplugged, then the screen is always black now. It does not flicker, however it is just solid black.

When the car is running the fan speeds up and slows down on its own periodically, and I am unable to adjust the volume and stuff like that.

Soon as I plug the satnav/xbox plug back in I resume control of the volume and aircon controls, however the screen is flickering black once again.

Funny thing, is whenever I get the screen running again, the Airconditioner is always turned back on, the air control is set to Feet only.

Also seems like sometimes when the fan is turned to the fully off position, you can hear the fan slowly turning still.

Is there a certain module in the ICC which has spat the dummy you think?

• Member For: 13y 5m 20d

Hey XF falcon I have had the same problem for the last 12 months. My screen was flickering before it went complete black. Everything work fine except my LCD is black. Iv had the icc out so many times and looked over every plug and pin with no luck. I gave up for several months but of late have been trying to sort it out.

Now I have gone thru and looked at every ground/earth wire in the car to find there all sweet but I have found something........ My power steering line from the pump has had a leak and been dripping down straight on top of the alternator! Iv spoken to ford and a mate(auto lec) and they said that the falcons need almost exact correct voltage for the electronics to work properly. I measured the voltage and sure enough I'm down half a volt while the cars running. I'm a sparky a know that things like LCD's, small electronics etc won't run very well or at all if there's not the correct voltage. I'm going to changed the alternator and cross my fingers and toes and hope the fkr comes back on.

Another thing I was told is that it could be a power diod in the screen but haven't looked into that yet. Hope this might shed some light on your situation

• <put funny sh*t here>

Thanks BF2. I'll check the voltage of the battery as the car is running and check that out. Although the fact that it happened as I was wiggling around some cables makes me think its something other than that.

I'll try anything right about now :(

• <put funny sh*t here>

When the satnav input (xbox) is left connected then it behaves like the youtube video in the first post. The display sometimes works (30% chance) when its on Accesories and when you turn the car on it will then remain black about 90% of the time. Its like a 1/20 chance that the ICC display will remain working correctly with the car running. When the display is not working, the display is black however it has faint lines flickering through it for about 5 seconds, then it goes completely black for 5 seconds, then repeats.

With the satnav input unplugged the ICC screen remains completely black and does not flicker at all. The aircon turns itself on, and the fan turns up fast for maybe 3 seconds then goes back to slow, and repeats every 10 seconds or so.

Edited by XF Falcon

• <put funny sh*t here>

BF6, I've also put in a newer different battery into the car to try eliminate the alternator or a dead cell in the battery theory, and the ICC still behaves abnormally. Was worth the shot

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 12y 2d

I would say that there is an issue with the earth or power source. It wouldn't be an lcd issue as you are still having sound problems. I would suggest that you try a standard icc or a premium sound unit from another vehicle and see if it does the same- if it doesn't you know it is an issue with your icc- if it does then you have a wiring problem to the unit.