Heat Shield Painting

peeeches

• BANNED
  • Banned
  • Member For: 16y 11m 27d

From a radiant/thermal heat perspective, the heat shield being reflective is doing its best work. If painted black it would increase its ability to draw more heat away from the turbo quicker. This heat would then translate to higher under bonnet temps( up to 8%). Buy being reflective it is actually reflecting the radiant heat back onto the turbo, and further,it is the least efficient surface colour for heat transfer. This basically means that a greater amount of heat is being restricted to the turbo area. Because as we know a turbo is spooled by heat, not exhaust flow as such. To paint it black would reduce performance marginally, especially in hot weather. Due to increased intake temps. That said, this condition would be greatly reduced on FG models (due to intake location) and earlier models not using crossover. Cheers

Soooooooooo turbo's that have had their exhaust housings ceramic coated BLACK suffer marginally?

I suggest you go have a look at some of the housings on some 6sec turbo cars .. just sayin' lawl...

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 3d

I doubt it would make THAT much difference.. After all its a heat shield, meaning that it shields the stuff around the turbo from the heat, changing its colour won't make it less effective?

• Like 1

• Member For: 13y 9m 4d

Soooooooooo turbo's that have had their exhaust housings ceramic coated BLACK suffer marginally?

I suggest you go have a look at some of the housings on some 6sec turbo cars .. just sayin' lawl...

Thermal coatings are a different subject all together. But for high boost applications, and high exhaust temps, a black coating would definately be the most suitable. Because in that case it is ideal to have faster thermal release. Cheers

I doubt it would make THAT much difference.. After all its a heat shield, meaning that it shields the stuff around the turbo from the heat, changing its colour won't make it less effective?

Probably best to do some research on thermal dynamics. Cheers

• BANNED
  • Banned
  • Member For: 16y 11m 27d

Thermal coatings are a different subject all together. But for high boost applications, and high exhaust temps, a black coating would definately be the most suitable. Because in that case it is ideal to have faster thermal release. Cheers

:fishing2: I love it when you make sense :finger:

• Like 2