Upgrade To Premium Sound

sash

• Love the Ride....
  • Member For: 21y 22d

My XR6 only has standard sound. Now I have seen the Premium setup, I want it. Mainly just the console as the speakers and amps can come anytime. Are these units interchangable or are more bits needed.

If anyone knows costs or locations to get a premium console or something along the same lines I will appriciate any input.

Thanks guys

Sash

:festive:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Upstanding Member
  • Member For: 20y 6m 24d

In theory you can - it would need to have the BEM flashed to ensure the VIN and so on details matching your car... but asides from the cost and this small deatil it shoudl be a plug and play for the entire unit.

The entire centre stack comes out as a module. I have heard this costs serveral thousand dollars 'new' but froma wreck you may get lucky.... Chances are wreckers will not be abelt o ask much for the units due to their sensitivity to knocks and tilting etc etc and the need to flash them before being able to use them...

A.

• voy74656
  • Member For: 20y 4m 11d

ud also need to buy the entire front paneling as the screen is different size. It might also have to link into the ECU differently as your now dealing with a colour display and more functions e.g. ECU upgrade???....just a thought. I know nothing about electronics but know that with computers u cant just rip out a graphics card and put in a new one without the PC moaning and groaning.

Edited by voy74656

• Upstanding Member

No ECU changes... the looms are marginally different true. All ICC electronics and controls are within the unit itself. Just the BEM needs to have the VIN flashed ;)

That's why I suggest a wrecker would be a better source!

Guest stealth_XR6
  • Guests

I am in the process of buying an XR6T and the dealer said to me that you can not install the premium sound after you purchase the car, it has to be done during the initial build.

He didn't specify why it can't be done, except that they (dealers)can't sell you one if you change your mind at a later stage.

Although he may have been doing his salemany thing and upselling.

• voy74656
  • Member For: 20y 4m 11d

:thumbsup: Hiya!!

that's what I got told by the salesman as well stealth. But if theres 1 thing ive learnt is to trust these guys on these forums....they seem ot know what theyre talking about...except ken.....*waits for response*

• Upstanding Member

You'd not want to try and add premium sound after the car has been built as IT WILL COST MORE than the $900 the option costs. But it can be done with deep enough pockets!

A.