Car Has Slightly Rough Idle And Sluggish Acceleration

boost69

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 6d

Hi Guys,

The last few days my car has had a slightly rougher idle than normal when cold, and I have noticed that it seems sluggish.

the car is a stock standard BF Mark II XR6T.

It feels like the timing is retarded or that its not bosting like it should.

There are no codes being dispalyed.

Im thinking it could be either the plugs or O2 sensor, or possibly loose turbo bolts...or possibly some type of vacum leak...

Anyone had similar symptoms on their XR6T?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 5m 3d

If there is something wrong with the o2 sensor you wont know until the car warms up a bit and the pcm switches to closed loop. If the problem is there right from a dead cold start I would check vac leaks and maybe change the spark plugs.

Edited by Paulie2256

• 4 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 6d

Guys,

I changed plugs, checked the whole turbo to throttle body path and found no leaks, also checked vacum hoses coming off the manifold and found nothing obvious...(even changed the PCV)

I hooked up a boost gauge and the vacum readings are quite constant, maximum boost is around 5psi (car is stock standard).

This problem with the rough idling (revs do not fluctuate), seems to have come on with the colder weather we are having lately in Sydney.

The car settles down when it reaches normal operating temperature, and has not thrown any codes, and there is no splutter or backfiring under hard acceleration.

Anyone had a similar experience that can assist me?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 7m 20d

had the same issue with my fg. Asit was still under warranty I took it back to ford they went over it couldnt find a thing wrong reset the ecu and installed updates and it idles perfect know.

• Member For: 13y 3m 7d

Maybe coils like Velocity said.

I see they are on fleabay for $85 or about $150 for genuine for a set of 6. If you change them and it doesn't fix it then you know your existing ones are probably good and it never hurts to have a spare set laying around for trouble shooting later on :)

had the same issue with my fg. Asit was still under warranty I took it back to ford they went over it couldnt find a thing wrong reset the ecu and installed updates and it idles perfect know.

is it possible to download the computer update and install yourself using HP Tuners software?

Edited by riptide

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y

Yeah I'm in a similar boat dude. Changed plugs, 02 sensor, tightened manifold bolts and clamps.

Funny thing was when I started the car after changing the plugs initially the revs were a lot higher and I noticed I hadnt plugged back in that vacumn hose from the crossover back in to that metal piping below (not sure what this is but it sucks when you put your finger over it). When I plugged it back in the car started running rough again.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 29d

Clean your throttle body and disconnect battery for 10 minutes to reset KAM, also riptide no, you cannot get updated factory software anywhere other than ford, if your car is tuned you wouldnt wana go doing that anyway :P

• Like 1

• Member For: 13y 3m 7d

If it's the base software (full flash) I can just load the parameters back in can't I? I have the HP Tuners gear here at the moment and all my tunes.

Can't you send it to me :P

I won't tell anybody. Honest

Edited by riptide