Sign in to follow this  
pieman18

Ba Xr6 Vs Xr6 Turbo

Hey all

As the title states, I'm after a comparison between a ba/bf falcon xr6 and an xr6 turbo

I'm in the market for a new car, these are a couple of my favourite options, I would love an xr6 turbo, but I'm worried that most xr6's have been flogged in their lives, an xr6 seems like a safer option, but I just can't seem to stop wanting a turbo

I guess I'm just after a 'pro and con' type deal from those that own either one

Cheers guys

Dan...

Mate its a no brainer, my cousin bought a non turbo version of his car, worried about the same things you are and he's regretted it ever since..

Cons for a turbo would be the maintenance, fuel and fixing things that break, but if you buy a good base, mod the thing properly, you won't have much trouble... Pros, PPOWWWARRRRR

Cons for the n/a, its n/a... Pros, ????

LOL

+1

Buy turbo. Or you will end up like this guy

Image004.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

See exhaust hole...N/A

Edited by -SteveR-

Oh man... WTF?

Is that a Perth car Steve...? Some people...

Almost as bad as that 'spew' coloured VX I saw today that was dressed up as VE Clubsport - Walkinshaw bonnet and all :(

Edited by NVT

Given almost everybody here has the turbo, the answer is obvious.

Nobody here is thinking "I wish mine wasn't a turbo". If you go the n/a you will be saying "fark I wish I had the turbo". If you want one that's less likely to be flogged, buy the G6e turbo, they are only driven by cardigan wearing lawn bowlers. ;)

Sure is Dan. I made sure to make a lot of noise as my car with no markings passed his car with extra markings!

I service both cars regularly and the only thing I preferred in the NA6 compared to the 6T is the marginally better throttle response.

Other than that they are particularly boring in comparison.

Oh and the extra space in the bay was a small plus side aswell; easier to work on :)

Edited by MX Dave

The turbos will get a work out every now and again but for the most part you can't use all of the power too often if you want to hold onto your license. Sure if you buy one with big power, tricked up auto with a stall converter built for racing then yeah its probably had a harder life but otherwise its probably no different to other cars. If anything the turbo will mean its getting flogged less often because it does everything so effortlessly.

Asking that here is like asking a bunch of crack addicts if they would rather cocaine or weed.

Lol

The only thing an Na can do better then a turbo is nothing.

I agree, they are better at sitting still :) Turbos should be driven as a priority!

lol mate you've come to the XR6T forum asking whether a turbo is a better choice than an NA 6. as for whether it's been flogged or not, if youre going to buy 2nd hand you really just have to accept the fact that some one at some point has had some fun in the car. being a turbo or NA isn't really going to make much of a difference to that in my opinion, people will give anything a flogging. if you've come here it means you want a turbo so go and get yourself one mate, you'll never regret it. As for the BA/BF differences there's countless threads all over about which is better. in a nutshell though BF MK2. if budget allows of course.

I agree not just the turbos get driven hard. I've had FG xr6 NA's run me from the lights, not sure why unless they thought I was NA as well?

BF2 or later for sure, if it's too much $ keep saving!

Edited by -SteveR-

well matey coming from some one that bougth the N/A....it took a lot of money to get it upto 320rwkw that its pushing now with the turbo motor. dont get me wrong the N/A goes ok if you tickle it a bit, mine had about 160rwkw in the manual version and still got about 600klms+ out of a tank of fuel, but it doesent take long before you want more,and more and then stick a turbo motor in..lol in the end it will come down to your own direction that you want to travel. if you are use to powerfull cars like I was, then the N/A will not be enough for you. and honestly there's nothing a hard assed test drive wont pick up if you know what your looking for.

N/A = Perfect for P plater

13.7 with just a set of Drag tyres...

181798_10150908953149029_564499028_9841032_1620141703_n.jpg

547827_294445743982623_100002515994244_45029058_902293196_n.jpg

Honest it's all stock under there officer...

enginebay3.jpg

But if ya don't need a P plate car, then these do look kinda horn !!

400+rwkw's don't hurt either...

538063_294445780649286_100002515994244_45029060_622852047_n.jpg

I was wondering the same thing at the start of the year then had a drive of an fg xr6 then a Bf2 xr6 turbo

Have had my turbo 3 months now and don't regret it one bit

When buying one you should have a pretty good idea of how it's been treated, if the Diff feels smooth its had a very easy life and another good thing to check is shaft play take the pipe of the front of the turbo and give the shaft a wobble, if it doesn't have any play its most likely had an easy life

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Philthy18