Truetrac Free Play How Much Is Acceptable ?

FPVF6355

• Member For: 13y 2m 10d

OK it's been a week, and no reply from Harrop.

I rang them and explained it, and emailed them as they requested.

No reply a week later.

I own a well known brand, and after sales customer service is everything in business.

Harrop your imported over inflated Truetrac is not superior to the stock ford unit, after 10,000 Kms its now equivilent in worn play, to a genuine Ford LSD that had done 140,000Kms.

The Harrop truetrac is no different to the USA made one, they have the same issue, and only cost $500.

• 10 months later...

Old thread, but thought I'd update it.

The clunking really started to piss me off, but diff freeplay of the input shaft seemed to stay the same.

Anyway, changed the oil to penrite 85/140 and added 2 table spoons of gog grease (open gear grease used in mining equipment)

Diff is now quiet as a mouse, no more clunks when putting in gear, or between changes. Can still hear the gears engauge when the diff is locking both wheels under load.

So all good. Just needed a better oil to cushion the take up.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 6m 8d

that's good to know and poor form from the supplier not to atleast suggest oil as a change. I will be investing in a TrueTrak this year due to being sick of single wheeling after only 50K on the factory LSD. Glad your experience is now what it should be.

that's good to know and poor form from the supplier not to atleast suggest oil as a change. I will be investing in a TrueTrak this year due to being sick of single wheeling after only 50K on the factory LSD. Glad your experience is now what it should be.

Yeah they do a great job getting the power down, much better than the LSD, but clunkiness seems a common complaint.

Never got a reply from harrop, so wish I installed it myself, at least I would have better knowledge of what to expect, and how I could have resolved it sooner.

If I did it over, I would buy a blown LSD and fitted an import trutrac (heaps cheaper) and do a swap over after building it,

but my original LSD was under warranty, and opted to get a trutrac instead.

• Member For: 13y 2m 9d

Did you actually get it diagnosed as the true track being the issue?

If your diff installer didn't install correctly, the free play won't be in the truetrack, but instead in the pinion and crown wheel. Seen so many dodgy installs and poor meshing.

In regards to what part is direct fit to our cars...

Eaton make the centres. There is no direct fit for our cars. The centre needs to be machined to fit. Harrop use their own casing on the eaton centre, which makes it direct fit. I believe this is all still true from when I had mine installed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 6m 22d

Had my truetrac fitted in December last year and the backlash issues have been there since day 1.

The installer has offered to pull it out and inspect. So I'll be getting that done in the next month or so.

• 7 years later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 24d

Bump.

Following up on this thread. Seems the backlash or driveline clunking is being reported more now. Quite a few workshops are flagging this as a problem. Getting mine looked at next week. Excessive movement, 10-15mm side to side movement in the inner axle and up to 4mm up and down movement. This is likely causing the vibration as speed as well.