Truetrac Free Play How Much Is Acceptable ?

FPVF6355

• Member For: 13y 3m

Hi,

Anyone else have a Harrop truetrac fitted ?

I had one put in about 10000 K's ago, and it was nice and firm to start with, and gradualy the rear end got clunkier on gear changed (manual)

Anyway, finaly had a look, and found I can rotate the pinion about 10mm back and forth.

Took it to the guys that installed it, and they put it on the hoist, and found that the free play is in the diff and not the CV'c or anything.

Anyway, then he said that's normal !!!!! The truetrac gears are worn but they won't let go.

I don't drive like an idiot, or do donuts etc, it's running 290RWKW and I do drive it pretty hard.

But if they develop that much play, in 10000 k's how long will it last 30,000 ???? , If I don't do a real smooth gear change, and bring the clutch pedal up too quickly, the bang is really bad.

The reason I upgraded from the original LSD was the LSD had exactly the same issue, so I'm a bit P'D off.

• Member For: 12y 10m 15d

Call Harrops direct and speak to them. Tell them about the clunking, let them know you are not happy. Your workshop may just be trying to avoid replacing it under warranty, they will still have to foot the labour cost, Harrops only supply the part.

• Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 29d

My brothers true track after 8k. this is in an n/a looool.

d2610182.jpg

1db09a8e.jpg

d455ba0e.jpg

• Like 1

• Member For: 13y 3m

Youch !!

That's the crown and pinion though, the tutrac is enclosed from those, except for the drive shafts.

I did notice, that when I rock the tail shaft back and forth, the drive shafts input into the diff housing move up and down at a small angle.

Considering I had a full rebuild , bearings, drive shafts, diff, crown and pinion, I'm pretty dumb founded that after 10,000Ks it has more play than a Nissan R200 I had, that's 20 years old behind a lexus V8 in a datsun.

I'm no diff expert, but any gear arrangement is sh*te, if there is heaps of backlash, or free play, it just accelerates wear.

• Member For: 18y 9m

Like Turbotrana says, there is something up, that may not be TrueTrac related... real mess of those gears and the metal has passed right thru the diff. Worrying problem indeed. All that backlash is probably due to the collapsible spacer continuing to collapse, dramatically increasing backlash. All that pounding has smashed the gears to bits. Consider a solid spacer in severe duty applications?