Non Turbo Motor Into Xr6 Turbo

spinr33

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 6d

Hi guys,

Just throwing some ideas out their I have used the search function but hasnt come up with anything really useful as far as a go or no go.

My engine recently developed a knocking sound similiar to a thread that was put up recently called (engine noise) same sound etc which people seem to identify as a bent conrod mine being a BA Turbo.

I was talking to my tuner as to what the best way to go about this was im not really interested in big kw's and big dollar engines etc as I have already spent alot of money on my previous cars and feel money could be better spent elsewhere.

My question is can you fit an bf xt or xr6 , or fg xt or xr6 n/a block in place of the turbo block and have some form of reliability im talking about just putting a long block in bolting the turbo gear up and obviously custom tuning it to make sure it doesnt ping etc from the added compression and has enough fuel for the boost etc.

I have seen a few members xr6 twin and another have converted their n/a's to turbos just by bolting everything on (xr6twin suffering compression failure due to exhaust seat burnt out)

Is their much difference between the N/A and turbo long motors other then the compression and im lead to believe different exhaust valve seats in the turbo heads, also is their any point putting a N/A block, in are the using the same weaker rods as the BA's in the later BF and onwards series in the N/A

Also are the N/A pistons and Turbo pistons both cast

Sorry for the long post but im hoping someone could shed some light as im considering this as an option for replacement but would love someone who has down it before to chime in

• Menace
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 1d

personally if I were you, I'd look at using an lpg motor out of a bf taxi. Might be the bf mk2 cant remember..and I think you'll have better rods than before someone else may be able to confirm.

I'd also use your head that is on your existing motor, though you may have to pay for some machining to get the head and block decked I'm not sure.

I dont think it would cost you alot tbh, could be worth doing some homework on it.

That would be alot better than fitting an N/A motor and you may have some room to tweak aswell.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 6d

Nah I wasnt planning on selling it only had it around 6 months , I was just throwing some ideas out their I have some other avenues to explore asfar as replacement with another turbo motor , short block etc