Engine Oil Coolers?

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 17d

Still learning so please don't flame lol.

Why would you use a engine oil cooler? Is it do with power levels or driving conditions? I would have thought that changing your thermostat would sort out temp issues.

Honest question just trying to understand why people fit them?

• Member For: 20y 8m 19d

In most processes heat is an undesireable condition, which reduces the life of equipment. This goes the same for your engine. Your oil is designed to function efficiently during normal operation but when you push your engine to it's maximum the oil thins and provides less protection. So installing a cooler will allow the oil to cool and remain closer to it's designed temperature range of operation. This will improve reliability and prolong engine life by reducing wear to bearings etc.

Benny.

• Member For: 13y 3m 7d

I think what 21220 was asking is why do you need two forms of cooling. If the radiator is doing it's job should you really need an extra cooler targeting the oil? Does the oil heat faster than the block?

I always wondered this too.

• Member For: 20y 8m 19d

The oil and coolant are two seperate systems that do two different things in the engine. The oil is for lubricating bearings etc and the water is to cool the block and head. Lowering your thermostat would lower the operating temperature of the engine but cooling the oil wont have much effect on reducing engines temps but allow the oil to remian in it's ideal temp range during spirited use which will provide better protection.

Lowering either of these systems too far can affect the correct operation of your engine so care must be taken.

Benny.

• Cruise Control
  • Member For: 17y 3m 27d

Another thing to consider is a stock XR6T/Typhoon does not have a very large oil pan.....and as the oil flows through a red hot turbo it gets heated up...fast...

If the oil overheats the car goes into limp mode.....so to fix this I fitted an oil cooler....

Mounted it under the drivers side headlight and ran a couple of 16mmID. hoses from the filter across the front to the cooler.....this not only gives me the advantage of cooler oil....but also increases the capacity of the oil system by more than a litre.....

If you cut some slots in the splashshield in front of the front wheel (as per the pic) you'll get a suction effect as the front wheel spins to draw air through the cooler without having to stuff around with ducting air to the cooler.

Hints.....

Always use good quality "high-temperature" hose with compatible fittings and use proper clamps along its route to avoid abrasion of the hoses.

post-10451-0-82956100-1330731539_thumb.j

Edited by BionicXR6T
  • Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m

Another thing to consider is a stock XR6T/Typhoon does not have a very large oil pan.....and as the oil flows through a red hot turbo it gets heated up...fast...

If the oil overheats the car goes into limp mode.....so to fix this I fitted an oil cooler....

Mounted it under the drivers side headlight and ran a couple of 16mmID. hoses from the filter across the front to the cooler.....this not only gives me the advantage of cooler oil....but also increases the capacity of the oil system by more than a litre.....

If you cut some slots in the splashshield in front of the front wheel (as per the pic) you'll get a suction effect as the front wheel spins to draw air through the cooler without having to stuff around with ducting air to the cooler.

Hints.....

Always use good quality "high-temperature" hose with compatible fittings and use proper clamps along its route to avoid abrasion of the hoses.

I like this idea for cooling re the vents but does it suck a lot of water in too?