Wastegate Actuator Malfuntion P1228

newks85

• Member For: 12y 1m 26d

I have just replaced the o2 sensor on my 03 xr6 turbo and by the end of my very short street a puff of smoke and now I have what feels like no turbo!! :( I keep getting the trouble code P1228 which is wastegate actuator wont open under pressure?? I have since put the old o2 sensor back in and was able to move the wastegate in and out by hand so tested again and ran good till the end of the street then died.. Restarted with a BIG cloud of smoke and trouble code again.. Any insight on what to do or who best to see in Adelaide about this would be great!! Thanks all.

yeh have rechecked absolutely everything even checked my wastegate actuator to make sure not seized and checked all vacuum lines even put a manual boost controller on to make sure it wasn't the boost solenoid!! Have now got old o2 sensor back on. The new one was a Bosch!! The car has gone into limp mode because of it which is why the full power lose!! I can clear the code out of limp mode but just comes straight back after the smallest run or littlest boost then puff of smoke and limp mode again ( my car has never blown an inch of smoke before either). I saw a guy at Enhanced Motorsport and his input was basically run a full dyno check of my entire system to make shore everything is in parameters and whats out of the parameters and go from there so basically alot of guess work grrr!! :( Thanks for the guys name I will see were I can go see him to have a chat! I got alot of people scratching there head right now grrr.. :(

how true turbo blown and I've just replaced it plus intercooler.. Someting got sucked through my aftermarket air induction and compressor wheel was more than stuffed :( the bits and pieces I pulled out of my intercooler im not surprised grrrrr. All fixed and replaced now but at a nice cost of $2800 but at least I have braided oil lines and bigger much needed intercooler.. Big Big difference but lesson learned for people buying an XR6 Turbo.. Check the compressor wheel before buying easy and could save you nearly $3000 grrr :(