Another Varex Thread

JulzC

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 15d

Hi Guys

So I got my new FG turbo ute about 6 months ago. I wanted to get the exhaust done just for a bit more noise.

I was told by a mate that if you just get a cat-back and not a turbo-back you will not void your new car warranty. However I have also heard this depends on the dealer. I will have to get on to my dealer soon to see what they say..

So at the moment, most of the time I am on the freeway or stuck in traffic (or both) and really want to avoid the drone you can get from some types of exhausts. So I was thinking of going for the Xforce Varex muffler on the rear. Perhaps with a Xforce cat-back or just with a centre muffler removal. Not sure if there will be any advantages in getting the Xforce cat-back. I guess the sound will differ

Acccording to the Xforce website, there is a new control kit for the varex. An automatic system that will change the volume automatically at the RPM set by the user. Very tempting!

Any thoughts or advice would be a big help!

Cheers

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 24d

Had varex.. Loved it and hated it.. The remotes are flimsy and cheap. But it was awesome on a WRX..

Closing the varex wasn't quick.. It would take about 5 seconds to rotate from open to completely closed. So if xforce has released an RPM based system I hope it opens and closes as fast as factory bi-modals do.

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 30d

pretty pricey too arnt they?

I chopped centre muffler out and get no drone. some like the sound some dont.

a cat back wont affect warranty. well it shouldnt but ya never know what crap they blame it on.

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 24d

Varex fitted was about $800 in 2008.. That was remote operated and they ran a cable to the cigarette lighter which I later hard wired to a switch myself.

In truth mate the varex is expensive. And if you plan on taking your mods further I'd definitely talk to a tuner about its impacts on the tuning of the car..

• Member For: 13y 9m 9d

pretty pricey too arnt they?

I chopped centre muffler out and get no drone. some like the sound some dont.

a cat back wont affect warranty. well it shouldnt but ya never know what crap they blame it on.

Did you just replace it with piping or a resonator?

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 30d

FF surely there has to be drone..

I did a resonator and it drones just not that bad and can be avoided.

• Pitlane Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 11m 23d

I don't think you would get as much of the sound in the cabin in a ute compared to sedan though dillz, at idle ff's is a bit quieter than mine too.

Edited by TRA1NR

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 11m 15d

I loved the varex I had. Took about 2 seconds to change from open to close and it cost me about $500 installed I think about 3 years ago. The only issue is that when it is closed it is very very restrictive. Not sure how well it would run closed on a tuned T however a stock one should be fine.

Ben