How To Make A Custom Fibreglass Subwoofer Box

peter_125

• flame magnet
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 12d

nice job mate. I would also make a resin 'milkshake' from resin and fine bits of mat and pour it in to each corner of the box for strength. remember that the sub will try to push the sides out every time it thumps.

also remember to check the specs of your sub to make sure the box is the right size. a cheap sub can sound awesome when in the right enclosure, and a high quality sub can sound crap in the wrong one...

if the box is not big enough, then you can 1/2 fill the box with wadding or similar to 'fool' the sub into thinking the box is bigger... this will also help if the bass sounds 'muddy'

well done mate

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • Member For: 11y 4m 3d

just finished taping my boot up in the FG to attempt this.

had plenty of practive with fibreglass (race bikes, used to repair fairings) and always wanted to try and make a custom fit sub box. now I know how!

few questions if I may...

where did you get the spandex?

did you (or anyone) have dramas getting it out of the boot? the FG seems to drop down, and its going to be mighty snug. hoping I can pull it out and dont have to destroy it and try again.

is twin 12"s over the top? pretty sure ive got room. (I guess that depends if I can get it out though too)

finally, how did you anchor it in the boot when finished?

cheers.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 25d

Try Spotlight for the material (spandex, etc) and fix to the car with screws from inside the box. Cover the screws with sikaflex or liquid nails to stop the air pressure escaping...

• Member For: 12y 8m 18d

yeah I got the spandex and spray adhesive from spotlight, the carpet and carpet adhesive from the local car audio shop and the rest from bunnings. Mines not anchored down but because its so snug it will not move no matter how fast I go around a corner, It just has never moved. Before I knew it wouldnt roll around I was considering velcro because I didnt want to screw through the body or destroy the carpet. If once your done it wants to tip over im sure velcro would do the trick

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • Member For: 10y 6m 14d

Hey guys .... Forget the "spandex" unless you look good in it ... Use FLEECE ... Or baby blanket, you can buy it from spotlight type stores, it is thicker and holds its shape better, absorbs the resin way better, in fact I don't use matting on the front half of the enclosure at all so that means little or no sanding !!!. I do reinforce the inside of the fleece with more resin mixed with "stuff" (milkshake) as someone else mentioned ...

Cheers.

Edited by 351Dave23