Which Intercooler For Fg Xr6T Street Car With Mild Mods

Sydneyxr6t

• Member For: 12y 5m 21d

Guys

I purchased an FG XR6T a few months back, and have done the following basic mods:

SS Growler intake

Herrod piping kit

Hurricane high-flow cat

ID 1000 injectors

X3 SCT and custom tune

car is making 295rwkw and 750Nm of torque, its a daily driver and I was thinking about intercooler options.

I found the following 2 links on ebay for the HDI GT2 Pro

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HDi-GT2-PRO-INTERCOOLER-KIT-FG-XR6-TYPHOON-F6-Christmas-special-/350470417985?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5199aa2e41

and PWR stepped coolers

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-FALCON-FG-XR6T-F6-STEPPED-INTERCOOLER-PWR-/120851651280?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2351dad0

my questions are which cooler would anyone recommend based on experience with the using the cooler, I would be leaning towards the PWR as it requires no modifications/cutting and is a bolt in item

I will be getting my tuner to retune once the cooler is fitted

Armando

• Pitlane Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 11m 21d

Hey mate, if you have a look in the Pitlane section, Mick has done a bit of trsting with the PWR cooler.

The consensus is that it is a good bang for your buck cooler, especially if no cutting is important to you. It does suffer from heat soak though and is out performed by bigger coolers that do require some cutting. (either plastic or metal cutting)

Most would agree it is fairly well matched to the car if you still run a standard turbo, but if you upgrade you will be looking for something bigger.

Edited by TRA1NR

• Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 1m 3d

Pwr has a good rep.

• Member For: 12y 5m 21d

Thanks for your feedback guys, I will be sticking with the standard turbo, so the PWR cooler sounds like the best option as it requires no cutting/mods to the bumper bar.

cheers

Armando

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 6m 11d

pw stage 2 ftw, gotta cut a bit of plastic and nick some metal but if I can install it anyone can haha

I had a process west cooler and the amount of cutting you have to do is ridiculous to do to a new car! PWR

G'day boys . I spoke to Kev not 2 weeks ago about both stg2 & stg3 coolers kits for my FG . I didn't go for the stg3 because he told me what was involved in putting one in ( far to much cutting both metal and plastic ) so I got the stg2 .

He said that you dont need to cut anything , you also retain the same mounting points so if you want to return it to stock later that was no problem .

So my question is , Do I have to do some trimming ? ..

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 28d

You would need to cut plastic (arrows) to fit it but not the metal brackets (circles). 90mm thick coolers cant fit past that plastic bit, there's just no room.

FGPlasticcutting.jpg

The consensus is that it is a good bang for your buck cooler,

I thought that too till I realised that the top of the line Plaz 1000hp cooler is only $200 more, that makes the PWR expensive for what it is IMO. The only thing the PWR has going for it is no cutting and just drops straight in.

• I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 5m 28d

fair bit more in making a stepped cooler though.

plus that plastic is classed as structural