Place In Melb That Can Paint Brake Calipers?

dav0001

• Member For: 12y 11m 21d

Hi everyone, I don't often post on here but I cant find anything using the forum 'Search'.

I'm looking for a workshop around the eastern suburbs of Melbourne that can paint my XR6 BA brake calipers for me (I don't have the tools or space)

By painting brake calipers I mean:

1) Clean & remove grime before painting.

2) Prime (using high temp primer).

3) Paint (VHT Caliper paint, up to 4 coats if needed).

4) Finish (clear gloss)

Brakes Plus has quoted me $440 for all 4 calipers.

I am around eastern suburbs, so near Croydon, Ringwood, Croydon, Mitchem, etc! (willing to travel a bit)

If anyone knows where I can get a good job done for cheaper please let me know :)

Cheers

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 1m 26d

Considering they would be removing all 4 callipers, stripping them, cleaning them, painting them, and refitting them, $440 seems a excellent price.

1 hour per wheel plus materials seems very good labour rate.

Its your brakes, you dont really want to cut corners when working on them.......

• Member For: 15y 27d

Its very easy to do it you have some simple tools (jack,jack stands, and a few spanners). Maybe $50 in materials and abit of time. $440 is ALOT of money to get calipers painted. Maybe someone on here that is around your area could lend you a hand (I would but im 1000km+ away in sydney haha)

cheers

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 7m 27d

440 doesn't seem that much when you are paying labour.. I did my old BA ones myself and removing the calipers definitely wasn't the quickest job in the world..

• Member For: 15y 27d

oh yeh na it doesnt take abit of time and when ya paying mechanics/painters to do it ya definately pay for the labour but realistically it isnt the hardest job to do and 440 is alot of money for what it is.

Taking the brakes off is essentially undoing the the 2 caliper bolts at the rear (maybe the bolt to take the pads out) and undoing the brake line bolt. Hardest part is bleeding the system!! Then using some brake cleaner to get all the grime off, some high temp primer and a few coats of paint and clear

Edited by andrich

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 7m 27d

Again to stress a point.. If you've never f*cked around with brakes before and had no idea how to bleed them why would you take the risk of doing it yourself? Not something is wanna leave the driveway in to 'test' of I got it right..

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 18d

that's it, labour is the majority of what you pay for most things now.

To do it properly, remove, clean, prime, few coats etc, adds up.

And yep if your not confident, the last thing you should be doing is removing brakes!!

If you plan on upgrading brake pads/rotors/lines, best get them painted then to save labour costs.

• Member For: 12y 11m 21d

Thanks heaps for the comments and feedback guys!

Yeh I'm not too confident on removing and refitting the brakes myself.. I've done other basic mechanical repairs myself, but I reckon ill just pay up the $440 to get it done and not have to worry about f#!king anything up lol..

But at least I now know the labor cost's sounds about right and I'm not getting ripped off :)