All Things Zf

Dillz

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 11m 10d

you are correct in saying this Adam thanks! Last night I layed down and gave the pan a gentle tap with a spanner and it would appear that I do indeed have a steel pan. nice surprise to be honest.

dropped mine off for a full service today including zf and diff.

requested a steel pan, service tech calls me up and tells me mine already has it, happy days :sungum:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 6m 11d

proving difficult to get a mechanic who will do the flush if I supplied Syntrans. so far I've rung 3 and all have said that unless they use Lifeguard6 they wont do it. keep at it I guess

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 12y 6m 13d

Hi all, I am about to buy a ZF trans to bolt on to the back of a Territory Turbo engine, which is being transplanted into a 1975 Transit van.

Question: are all of the Ford ZF 6 speed transmissions the same part, or do I need to find a turbo box specifically?

thanks Conrad

thanks, in an ideal world that is what one would do.

But I bought the Territory engine as the intercooler arrangement and sump pan shape is better suited to the van than the Falcon engine (which I also have one of!) So just really wanted to know if the ZF boxes are different for the Turbo model (ie.uprated) or if they were all the same part across the Falcon range? Might be useful info for anyone trying to source a replacement for a blown tranny anyway;)

cheers

I think you are right, I read somewhere the V8 and T6 ZF has bigger clutch packs.

Okay, next raft of questions!

Question 1:

Now that I know I need a T6 trans, assuming I get one with the matching TCM, am I going to have problems getting the TCM to talk to the engine ECU? I have also read somewhere, probably on an internet forum, that the two are coded together, and you cannot just mix-and-match engines and transmissions?

Question 2:

I also read that each TCM was matched to its own transmission, and you couldn't mix and match these either. Now this last gem, if true, must mean that each TCM is "tuned" to the transmission. I ASSUME this is because the factory tolerances in the ZF build mean there is some variation in the way they shift, and the TCM needs to be "tuned" to ensure the transmission shifts to an acceptable level???

Which leads to

Question 3 :

I can get the TCM from the Territory that my engine came out of. (this would ensure that the factory "coding" issue, if any, would be taken care of) But I am fitting this engine into a RWD vehicle, meaning I need a trans from a Falcon. Can I just plug the Territory TCM into a Falcon trans, and have it "tuned" to whatever tansmission I end up with?

I know this project is going to be a potential minefield, but I have never been shy about tackling projects like this. Okay, in hindsight, with what I have learnt it would have been easier to get a complete matched engine/trans/wiring harness/ ECU and TCM from a wrecked car, and then attempt to get that working, programming the ECU to ignore the fact that there is no BEM, security system etc. etc.

If the trans issues look like to much of a headache to resolve, I will either:

a) get a complete matched engine/trans combo from a wreck or

b) stick a manual box behind it

Thanks in advance for your input and comments

cheers Conrad

Edited by conrod

• 11 months later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 22d

Hey guys,

I had a strange issue which the local auto trans shop and ford dealer couldn't work out. Me and a mate have just resolved it and there doesn't seem to be anything around the forums about it.

We made a video to describe the issue, basically caused by bad/uneven tyre wear or mismatched tyres on the front.

Hope it comes in handy.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Member For: 11y 3m 11d

Hey guys.. Wondering if anyone can help me with my ZF problem. The car is a 2006 mk2 bf xr6 turbo and when I'm under WOT in manual shift mode changing 3rd to 4th the gearbox makes a strange shutter and then bangs back into 3rd instead of 4th. Only happens here and there. Gearbox was last service at 105,000km with new heater exchange and the car now has 119,900km. Car is making 340rwkw if that makes any difference. Could it just need a service??

Thanks guys