All Things Zf

Dillz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Member For: 5y 3m 25d

So I'm  about to attempt to take zf out of my fgx with assistance of a fairly capable mate, iv got starter motor off, was a bit of a pain,  but got there in end. How do you get to torque converter bolts? I can't see a removable cover on the zf to get to tc bolts. Also to get the driveshaft off first, do I undo the bolts that hold the big round rubber shock absorber onto the zf flange so the rubber thing comes with the driveshaft? And drop the middle driveshaft cross member? The diff end of ds looks like the yolk is sitting in a recess and won't just drop down. Will I need to take the rubber damper on zf end completely off to be able to get ds out of diff end? Thanks guys.

@Puffwagoncan you help me with my removing zf post and also do you have to drain trans oil before getting box out and once you've got all bell housing bolts out and have started to move trans back do you keep levering torque converter into trans until it's off crank?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

There is a plastic bit in the sump that comes out to reveal the torque converter bolts. I'll get a pic after if needed.

You don't have to drain the oil to pull the box.

The torque converter will stay with the box once it's undone. It could fall out with a hectic angle but very unlikely to with normal removal.

The box will come straight down after you get it off the dowels.

@Puffwagoncan you help me with my removing zf post and also do you have to drain trans oil before getting box out and once you've got all bell housing bolts out and have started to move trans back do you keep levering torque converter into trans until it's off crank?

Awesome thanks puff

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

FG/X ZF’s require Torque converter bolts to be removed from the Starter motor hole … no bell housing inspection cover on dem ones ;) 

• Thanks 1

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 3y 11m 19d

It's a big fiddly Richard but not difficult by any means, just spin engine over and line each one up like normal, you'll probably have to operate more on feel than sight, it's a bit tight up in there, just don't go dropping any bolts when yr re installing them, there's a pro tip right there... 😅