Tutorial - Gauge Install

Gussa

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 19d

I will be looking for a different power source as mine wont calibrate properly on start up cuts out and is out of wack only the boost gauge is affected.. its about 10 out sits on 5vac and boosts to over 30psi lol.. tuner figured out what was happening yesterday when ute was on the dyno.

Sounds odd. Sure it isn't a faulty boost gauge or sender?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 1d

nar mate works fine now I connected to main power source.. tune is 19.5lb and boost gauge sits on 20 now where its suppose to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 16y 8m 24d

Hi Guys,

To add to topic of boost and oil pressure gauges in FG, I just bought a FPV dash for my XR6 turbo ute. It plugs in and no extra wiring is needed. U must make sure that if you purchase a dash it must have ZERO km's on it. And to get it to read to the cars memory the codes that will be in the dash have to be removed and replaced with the codes that come from your car. Have heard of a lot of people having problems but u must make sure that the new dash has Zero km's and the old codes are removed for your car to get it to work

Bought the dash to be used about a month ago now and it is the best. Wanted the gauges after having my second tune done to keep a watchful eye on oil temp, but also to see the boost gauge go crazy. Looks unreal. No gauges sticking up in the way and looks factory like a optional extra when bought. My original KM/s that were on the ute at the time were also transferred once the codes where put into place for the new dash......

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 13y 2m 12d

I will be looking for a different power source as mine wont calibrate properly on start up cuts out and is out of wack only the boost gauge is affected.. its about 10 out sits on 5vac and boosts to over 30psi lol.. tuner figured out what was happening yesterday when ute was on the dyno.

I have this exact problem with my boost gauge.. Mine reads about 3vac and boosts to over 20psi.. Could it be due to a faulty sender or the way it was wired up? I'm thinking about ripping it out and replacing it with a mechanical one

• 4 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 6m 4d

Sorry to sound like a bit of a noob but just got my gauges and will be giving this a crack soon. Just wondering if theres a particular kind of potentiometer I need? If you have a brand or something for yours I'll just get the same one! Also will any sandwich plate for our models work? I found one on ebay (earls) and it says its for adding an oil filter but surely it can be used for adding the sensors couldnt it?

• Member For: 15y 11m 5d

Bell, Auto One or Autobarn should be able to order you an adapter in

part no. 547-53:

22–1.5 mm oil filter thread. Suits Ford V8, BA onwards

Try some electrical tape or thin sponge tape Rex

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members

Sorry to sound like a bit of a noob but just got my gauges and will be giving this a crack soon. Just wondering if theres a particular kind of potentiometer I need? If you have a brand or something for yours I'll just get the same one! Also will any sandwich plate for our models work? I found one on ebay (earls) and it says its for adding an oil filter but surely it can be used for adding the sensors couldnt it?

Sorry for my late reply and also my apologies for not posting what size potentiometer it was!!

This is the back of it, doesn't state the size but is "alpha" brand (it wont matter at all). It is 1kOhm. This will depend on your gauges but it should do the trick at 12vDC (if you notice the dulling of the lighting isn't enough, upgrade to a higher Ohm potentiometer). All it does is add resistance to dull the lighting. I got mine from Jaycar, bout $2-$3.

imagevfjn.jpg

Regarding the S/wich plate, there are some differences.

Earlier model Xr6t's use a different oil filter thread.

The one I purchased (pic in first post) is M22 1.5 which I believe refers to Metric 22mm with a 1.5mm pitch. So that is what I would be looking at when purchasing.

In addition, the sender threads should match up to the ones below (if using auto meter gauges).

These are 2x 1/8 NPT threads.

image1mi.jpg

Hope this helps.

• Donating Members

This will sound stupid but how is everyone retaining the gauges in the pod?

I shortened the brass all threads at the rear of the gauge, then acquired some nuts to suit and bolted it in. There should be some pre-drilled holes in the back of the cup to suit?

Note - The nuts were a bitch to do up because of the limited room.