Kv!

Weight Training For Beginners

if I was looking to be my best powerlifting self, maybe that'd be worthwhile... not interested in that...

what are you doing in the gym these days, Damo?

1RM is good to throw in every now and then on the 5 main compound exercises be it for powerlifting or general progression

umm not much. barely been in 12 months or more....been sort of getting there the last 3 weeks but hardly have the mindset for anything at current.....sh*ts focked but that's what I get I guess..lol

Apart from the past 5 days that I've been training, most of my progress is in this thread.

I'm just easing back into it so I don't injure myself. 

50 minutes ago, MBAF said:

do 4 weeks of 1RM deadlifts. Start at 100kg. 1 rep. Increase by 10k till you cant lift it. Drop back by 5kg then increase by 5kg until you cant lift it....

should increase your 1RM in 4 weeks by 20 or 30kg atleast and your 80%max by the same amount as long everything else is right.

Strength training is good like that. 

You can go up in strength very quickly with the right program.

Edited by Puffwagon

exactly and that can also help with hypertrophy

46 minutes ago, k31th said:

eh... some progress is better than none :)

I wish I could say there is progress :/

Yeah my legs and butt get massive when I do 5x5, 3 times a week. That is supposed to be strength reps but I've never got better gains on my quads from anything else.

yeah it really depends on the person. I train (or should say used too) train them twice a week. One day heavy the other light but if your more on your feet than not 5x5 seems to be the go to

Fark yeah. A whole 6 days in a row of training to call it my first week!

Here's some baby beginner 1rms based off various sets done this week. Well they aren't really 1rms as I'm still working through doms and stretching etc so I'm not trying to go heavy yet.

Bench: 100kg, previous was 137kg

Squat: 120kg, previous was 165kg

Deadlift: didn't try it but let's just say it's 180kg. Previous was 200-205kg.

I've got some catching up to do and hopefully can add 50% to the current numbers in 12 months of lifting, chicken eating and creatine chugging!!!

Have to mate, I ain't going through that again. There were times that I couldn't train properly cos I was overheating. 

Lol I'll have to pull my finger out and git err done. 

The amount of times I've started exercising, eating healthy etc etc etc, lost a bit of weight, felt ok for a few days/weeks then next thing I know I'm back to my fat bastard "get in my belly" mode. I tried the gym, HATED it, couldn't stand all the douche bags constantly visually humping themselves in the mirrors, but I know I need to do something, I'm 31, been overweight all my life, get terrible sleep, struggle with anxiety and depression all the time.

For those who are disciplined enough to stay focused on keeping healthy, how the hell do you do it?????????

Start off setting yourself some short term goals and make yourself accountable for reaching those goals

take some pics of yourself and note down your weight, but don’t get drawn into taking pics every week or weighing yourself constantly as it will be 4weeks before you notice any changes in your self (even though they are happening) and the small changes that are happening will seem insignificant and that’s where the negativity sets back in

Also your diet is crucial, more than attending the gym. Diet is everything and 80% of your regime and remember moderation is a word you need to focus on if you get a little slack. A kit Kat once maybe every 2 weeks is not going to kill your diet but 1 everyday might. Work out what calories you need and work on how you will burn the excess energy 

from there you will be sweet

Try again...

48 minutes ago, Psshhhht said:

For those who are disciplined enough to stay focused on keeping healthy, how the hell do you do it?????????

The name of the original thread included the word "motivation".

You're already motivated. You're thinking about it and you asked a question. That's all motivation is. You want it therefore you're motivated. 

Discipline is a choice. Choices are easy to make. Make your choice and then do what you chose/want, not what you feel. This is the single most important piece of information. Wanting and feeling are 2 different things. 

Example: you want to give up smoking but you feel like smoking a cigar. Ignore what you feel and do what you want. It'll suck at times and may be hard but the choice is always there.

The rest of it is easy. Just google it for bmr, macros, 5x5 programs etc.

Here's a tip, losing weight is 100% diet. Exercise helps a fair bit but isn't needed.