Weight Training For Beginners

Kv!

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 15d

Massive effort, Fluff!

Jealous of how amazing you must feel! I currently probably need to loose a similar amount of weight and am really struggling to pull my head of out my ass and actually do it. How'd you get your head in the right place to make the change (and stick to it)?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
5 minutes ago, .Stripes. said:

How'd you get your head in the right place to make the change (and stick to it)?

Not fluff, but know what to do here... It's not your head that needs to be in the right place, it's your body. Just turn up each day and do the things you need to. That's all there is too it. As a bonus you'll start to make mental progress toward feeling good but that is a by product of working out, not a prerequisite.

Open myfitnesspal and start adding food, anything you can remember today and anything else you eat. It'll take 5 minutes to do it right now.

• Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 6m 16d

So this is an interesting one Stripes. 

I’ve been asked by a ton of people if I’d consider coaching them/giving advice/making videos etc of tips and help for people... I considered doing a Chanel of some description to help people, dispel myths, work on achievable goals etc etc and share my general experience... because losing 50kgs and changing your lifestyle and mindset is NOT the same as losing 10-15 or yo yo-ing or fad diets etc the list goes on... and more importantly... being consistent and accepting/making these habits a part of your life long term is something of the upmost importance rather than the weight loss itself IMO! Do that and the weight will go by itself. 

To a degree what puff is saying has merit, but also is the same as telling someone with depression to just snap out of it. 
obesity is a disease and has many contributing factors. How do we get fat? Being in a calorie surplus. How do we get in that calorie surplus? By eating more and moving less? Why did that happen?.... and there it is.... the answer is gonna be different for everyone and therefore the solution is going to be different for everyone!!! I don’t just mean physical reasons either, most are associated with a disorder or dysfunctional relationship around food to some capacity. Some are related to underlying health issues people aren’t aware they have (usually despite people’s eagerness to use this as an excuse it’s actually not, but more of a reason someone might feel more fatigued or be challenged by their illness to stay in a sub optimal nutrition status). Some are related to habits and environment. Some are related to emotional trauma or mental health issues which manifest as a food dysfunction/lack of motivation or ability to exercise. 

To be honest the advice I’d offer everyone would be different based on their own circumstances... but if I had to give you one hot tip/list of steps ... it would be this... 

1. Go to the doctors (if you haven’t already, and get a FULL physical including all blood and levels, thyroid, etc.). Assuming that’s fine or you address any issues then move onto the next step. 

2. Do not change a single thing but track what goes in your mouth... INCLUDING CALORIES WE DONT LIKE TO COUNT OR FORGET TO COUNT!!! I can elaborate on that one for hours!!! Being honest, real and thorough is of the upmost importance with this! 

3. Work out your BMR and establish how much of a surplus you’re in currently (or maintenance etc) and work out why... is it times of day where you binge.. is it situational (work, weekends, events, etc) ... is it holistic (just all over making bad choices or eating too much volume) or random... and have a really good think about why that is. Why are you treating food in that capacity... may be as simple as an addiction to sugar (you see in tracking your diet is sugar heavy etc) or may be that you have a depression trigger which causes you to eat etc. ... either way figure out where your triggers are or what the catalyst might be. Try to address this (this one is complicated so I won’t elaborate).  

4. Figure out an ACHIEVABLE deficit (500 cals say)... and eat exactly what you’re eating now, but less. Cut something easy out (usually volume or by substitution) to achieve that 500... then repeat this step every few weeks with portion control or moderation until you’re at 1000cals a day deficit (this is only achievable when you have a high bmr due to being overweight and this will need to be adjusted over time). 

DURING THIS PHASE DO NOT:

- include any exercise routines you’re not already doing 

- cut out any foods you like or are addicted to, but moderate them/portion control them (the aim is not to shock your body into withdrawals but slowly change it along with your mental approach to food). 
- make any dramatic lifestyle changes, stay with what you’re doing, stay consistent. 

I did not include exercise into my routine until 4/6 months in and even then it was moderate and infrequent for the most part... and I didn’t include daily exercise until 2 months ago!!! Because I know it was too much of a change for me to sustain. 

I didn’t focus on diet and nutrition (eating more nutritious foods etc) until 6 months in... and even then, I make sure I moderate, not cut anything out because I know my body will just crave it more. Only now am I trying to really achieve 140-170g protein daily because it aligns with my body cravings due to the weight training... my body WANTS fuel and I’m listening to it... in fact I’m about to smash nandos as we speak and I had a massive beef burger and chips for lunch... however I burnt 3500 cals yesterday from footy and gym... so you learn to listen to your body... but you need to go through a healing phase with your body so it starts sending the right messages in the first place! This is all a process and what I’ve said above worked for me because it’s not instant, it’s not over night, it’s not a quick fix or diet, it’s a lifestyle change which is sustainable and enables us to learn lessons on the way about nutrition, fitness, calories, etc. 

Biggest piece of advice, throw any ideas of fad diets in the bin. Shakes, fasting, Keto, whatever other BS some cooked KARnt is peddlin... STOP IT! You’re better off waiting another 6 months to start than starting any of that crap coz I almost promise you’ll fail and put back on every kg you lose plus some. 
Stop worrying about exercise!! (Unless you enjoy it and it’s already part of your routine) 

our calories we burn in exercise make up for such a small percentage overall of our daily output!!! You DO NOT need to exercise to lose weight, period. 

Once you start to see results make more SMALL and achievable changes gradually at the same time as addressing your dysfunction (whatever that is) around food as well. Then you can start to incorporate exercise when you feel like you’re gonna enjoy it or it’s going to add value to your life rather than be something you’re forcing yourself to do. 

That’s my 2 cents... 

Happy to help if u need... 

Let me know if u need a source/ help with good BMR calculators or deficit goals etc etc. 

PS. counting calories is also a big area people screw up. Either from lack of understanding on how to do it, or forgetting to count every single thing they actually consume.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

What I said works 100%, telling someone to snap out of depression works 0%. They are nothing alike.

Yes you should to go through the hoops with medical clearance, that will put a stop to the excuses straight away or it will tell you how to manage your recovery.

Great post overall.

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 15d

Thanks for such a detailed and informative reply, Dani - greatly appreciated.

Depression is certainly a big contributing factor. I'm actually starting to work through my triggers and stuff with my pshychologist, but mainly it's around stress and lonliness I think. It's very much a binge eating addiction for me, which farks with my head even more, because while the addiction craves the hit I get from binging, it only really serves to make me feel even worse (mentally and physically). Carnt of a thing.

I think I've always tended to do keto coz it's a quick win and makes me feel better in the short term, but you're right - it's not at all helping me solve my problems and overcome this chit long term.

I'll take all the help I can get, so definitely keen on some sources/help with good BMR calculators and deficit goals etc. That'd be awesome, thanks!

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

One thing to consider is how men are different to women with weight training.

When men are overweight our testosterone levels are generally very low which is often confused for depression, as the symptoms are very similar.

When a man lifts weights his testosterone levels increase a lot which in turns makes you feel better, raises your metabolism and changes your body composition. Unfortunately women don't have this luxury and as such have to put a lot more effort into diet.

A male body responds to weight training like a mofo when it is applied consistently. As such any male transformation needs to include weight training as well as calorie counting. Sure you can lose fat with eating less but weights are a key ingredient to getting a man back into shape.

As you go into a caloric deficit your hormone levels will suffer, although the lost body fat can offset this. This is another reason to lift weights, not ride a bike, run, walk, swim or any other exercise. The accrual of actual muscle tissue led by raising your testosterone levels mentioned in this post, will fast track a transformation much quicker than women can.

Finally don't attach your physical body to your mental problems. If you can physically do something then get it done, no point feeling sorry for yourself and blaming your body composition on your feelings.

Advice for all able bodied men here who want a change, don't be a farken pussy, stop farken complaining and get it done. You don't need a farken cuddle, you need to get off your arse and lift some weights!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 6m 16d

So leg day is my favourite... been making big gains in weight training... pyramid training is going really well for me... and I cranked out some PBs today... 

Leg day was as follows 

Warm up - assault bike and mobility stretching. 

Hack squat (god I hate that machine!)

10x  No weight full range of motion 

20x 20kgs 

15x 30kgs 

12x 40kgs 

8x 50kgs 

15x 30kgs 

Leg Press (pre load resistance roughly 45kgs) 

20x 40kgs 

15x 60kgs 

12x 80kgs 

10x 100kgs 

8x 120kgs 

4x 140kgs (new PB normally wouldn’t do this many sets but I was seeing where my new max was) 

15x 60kgs 

20x 40kgs 

For reference I’m under 70kgs body weight so loading double my body weight.

v9vgvHs.jpg

Hip Thrusts 

15x 40kgs (plus bar) 

12x 60kgs 

10x 80kgs

6x 100kgs (120kg including bar)  

20x 40kgs

PYkJ9xo.jpg

Then did leg extension and leg curls. 
then loads of stretching!!!!! 
(Can’t do calf’s as I’m nursing a calf tear from footy)

Hip flexors are feeling pushed from footy on my left side but other than that feeling good... I don’t get DOMS and my gains are really tangible to date (started with 30kgs on leg press LOL). 

I have a very high protein intake and I’ve stayed consistent with my weight even though my legs/arms etc are noticeably growing muscle so I think recomposition  is going well to date. Shoulders, back and arms are filling out also... over all feeling STRONG! 💪🏼

Edited by Mrs Jeturbo
  • Like 3