Weight Training For Beginners

Kv!

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 3y 11m 18d

Also good if you've only got 30-40 mins to spare for your workout, can get some good quality volume in and get wrecked at same time 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

How effective is a rep going to be if you don't give your ATP stores time to recover? The rep will feel like an RPE 10 but the weight will be around 25 to 30% of your 1rm.

Sure you'll feel farked but how many gains would you make by training with such a light weight?

Well I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat, it's not all about 1 rep max, lots of different training methods that work. 

So if you're doing 6-8 reps per set that would be around 80% of 1 rm? Doing 12 reps isn't down to 25-30% surely? Be more like 65-70% wouldn't it?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Perhaps 25 to 30% is a bit low, 50 to 60% is more likely now that I've done the math. Everything relates to a 1rm although you rarely attempt an actual 1rm. Even if you are doing 8 reps you are still basing the weight for those 8 reps on your 1rm.

Myo training in a nutshell is a warmup, 15 to 20 reps to near failure for 1 set, with a 5x5 or variation thereof tacked on the end, with 20 seconds rest breaks, while trying to get the final rep for each set to be as close to failure as possible. The idea is the only reps that make a meaningful difference is the last few that burn like a bitch.

With 20 second rest breaks you won't be able to use the actual strength the muscle has when properly recovered. It talks about getting in crazy amounts of volume in a short time, but a severely lightened 5x5 due to the 20 second rest, with an additional set to kick it off is not as much volume compared to what you could actually do with proper set, rep and rest ranges. Further to that you aren't lifting a meaningful amount of weight in those later sets. Volume is only half the story, you need a lot of weight on the bar to get huge.

Time to bust out the ole 1rm calculator :)

Lets say you can squat 180kg for 1 rep. A 15rm is 120kg, so you go and do 120kg for 15reps to kick it off. A 5rm for that is still 160kg... so you will then do 160kg for a further 5x5 with 20 second rest breaks? No way man, you'll be lucky to get 60% which is 100kg.

As an example, if you regularly do your 6rm for several sets, 153kg for 4 to 5 sets of 6 reps, what do you think lifting 100kg for a 5x5 will do for you? It is not even as much weight as your 3rd warmup set and will do nothing for strength or hypertrophy. What it will do is train your lactic acid energy system (there won't be enough time to switch to aerobic) and will be good sprint training, however that doesn't turn into strength or hypertrophy as well as proper sets and rest breaks.

If being at the gnarly end of going to failure for an extended time makes mo gainz, how come marathon runners aren't jacked?

Anyhow there's my 2c :highfive2:

Ps Now that I've said all that, I'll revisit it when my current program is over and put it into practice cos talk is cheap lol

Pps fark doing 15 to 20 reps to failure on the squat.

Well I don't disagree with anything you've said, although I reckon it's about 40c worth there 🤣

I definitely wouldn't base my whole training regime around myo reps and certainly wouldn't be incorporating them into the big lifts like squats and deadlifts etc but I reckon it's not a bad tool to have in the training toolbox anyway.

Just my 4c worth.

And ain't nobody got no time for 15 - 20 rep sets in the rack! I'm with you there!

• Haha 1