Weight Training For Beginners

Kv!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 2y 1d
On 31/03/2022 at 12:13 PM, Panda Eyes said:

so I had never walked into a gym (once like 30 years ago it think). now im going to be building another house (literally) in 18 months or so, I felt it made sense to join anytime fitness as it has opened in nairne. I figured it would be twice as hard to do the build if I was unfit (which I am) so I may as well put some work in to improve my fitness level. I had already made some good dietary changes for a couple nonths so nows as good a time as any to build on this.

Has my first visit to the gym- a 45 min with a personal trainer was included in the deal. I plan to improve cardio more than anything as ive always had good size arms and legs, so wasnt too interested in bulking them up. more just a 'get fitter' type of thing.

Funny thing happened. he (I thought) pushed me pretty hard (he said he didnt)- not really any rests between machines, but he said he was observing me to see how fast colour came back to my face lol.

all good eh. got out of breath. almost at failure point on weights. 

At end of session I was leaning on a rail and started to feel a slight bit nauseous. asked how would I know if I pushed too hard. then got dizzy. 

next thing I knew he was behind me asking if I was 'still with him'. said I blanked out a couple times for 10 secs or so, although I was still standing (leaning). 

got me to lay down after with elevated legs and I felt ok after 10 mins. Got me to contact Jen to pick me up as I drove there.

Weird. 2 hours later I walked back (15 mins) to pick up my car. 

stupidly didnt have anything to eat prior (I never eat breakfast). 

trainer (who has a background of medical side of things) said my pupils dilated and it may have been a panic attack.

visited my gp and he said no reason he could see it would be an issue for me- but getting blood tests to see if anything to be concerned about- one of my migraine meds is a slight beta-blocker so may have had an influence. 

Havent been back as flat out getting my place finished ready for sale, but will go back soon and gently, gently. That is great!

thoughts?/p>

I guess that this trainer is really unprofessional. Words like "how fast colour came back to my face" is something new for me :) In general based on my experience I can say that much too fast tempo is bad for people who haven't been to the gym in a long time or who are there for the first time.

Edited by Chal Roarke

• flame magnet
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 2d

Agree totally @Chal Roarke . I've been going for a couple weeks now and with the advice and helpful links passed on by @Puffwagon am really enjoying it, without feeling overwhelmed or like its something I cant maintain realistically. 

• Like 1

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 24d

wheres everyone getting supps from these days? like protein etc. ? 

I went to order some stuff and protein I get has gone from 28 per 1kg and is now $35 in a matter of 12 odd months. 

want to shop around seeing whats out there.  

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

Protein powder is a waste of money. You can get everything you need from food and you don't have to force feed yourself either.

Supplements in general do fark all, training,  diet and recovery is what matters.

Have a quality multivitamin each day to cover the micros, you'll be far better off doing that than buying protein powder.

• Like 1

• Member For: 2y 1d

If you need to get about 200+g of protein a day it will be quite difficult to obtain that amount from food. Compare: 1 cocktail contains 30g of protein and 5 eggs also contain equal amount of protein but what will be easier for you to consume: eggs or cocktail? 

1 hour ago, bossmang said:

wheres everyone getting supps from these days? like protein etc. ? 

I went to order some stuff and protein I get has gone from 28 per 1kg and is now $35 in a matter of 12 odd months. 

want to shop around seeing whats out there.  

I go only to iherb to get all the supplements I need. What I like about this marketplace most of all is the guarantee that all the products there are genuine. Because according tio some researches about 70% of sports supplements are fake 😞