Weight Training For Beginners

Kv!

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 10d
5 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

I feel like that now but I just trust that my arms are the same length and any perceived difference is just a result of inexperience. Haha still feels weird though after doing double overhand for years.

You must be well over 2x bodyweight deadlift by now ay @k31th?

haha I lifted 150kg, which is a touch under 2x as I weigh 78kg... but I don't bother deadlifting much at all, anymore. Get more benefit, without the chances of injury that deadlifting presents me due to my lanky frame, by doing other leg/lower-back exercises.

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

My first real mixed grip experience held nearly 50% more than my max double overhand, so that's what sold me.

Kinda kicking myself for not learning it earlier but oh well.

Haha I think it's my fat guts and tight hammies that's making my lower back sore, pelvic tilt etc. Gotta lose some weight yet again, did not take long to get back to 115kg+.

• Like 1

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 30d

My gym of choice at the moment is called culture, and is group based training where we do a warm up, then 20 min of strength work followed by a 20 min high intensity, weighted cardio session. It's a big ass shed and usual 10 to 30 people doing the workout at once. They run 5 classes a day with 2 trainers up the front demoing and yelling at me.

One of the guys I lift with is real into me about hook grip for the deadlift. Getting more comfortable with it. I sometimes have to tape my nail though for fear of ripping it off when the reps get high, and the grip starts to fatigue

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 30d

It was originally a crossfit gym.
The program has all the stupid exercises removed from it. Or just substitute a exercise you don't want to do. There is alot of data of middle aged particularly woman joining crossfire type gyms then spending huge money on physiotherapy lol.

Everything is pretty strict form these days. Bands are used for chin ups if needed etc.

Can either pick some light weights and treat it as a pure cardio session or, pick some heavy weight and do it how ever slow you want.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

fair enough; any exercise is better than none :) so crossfit isn't all bad :) plus, like you said, it sounds like they've taken out some of the stupidity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • flame magnet
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 3d

so I had never walked into a gym (once like 30 years ago it think). now im going to be building another house (literally) in 18 months or so, I felt it made sense to join anytime fitness as it has opened in nairne. I figured it would be twice as hard to do the build if I was unfit (which I am) so I may as well put some work in to improve my fitness level. I had already made some good dietary changes for a couple nonths so nows as good a time as any to build on this.

Has my first visit to the gym- a 45 min with a personal trainer was included in the deal. I plan to improve cardio more than anything as ive always had good size arms and legs, so wasnt too interested in bulking them up. more just a 'get fitter' type of thing.

Funny thing happened. he (I thought) pushed me pretty hard (he said he didnt)- not really any rests between machines, but he said he was observing me to see how fast colour came back to my face lol.

all good eh. got out of breath. almost at failure point on weights. 

At end of session I was leaning on a rail and started to feel a slight bit nauseous. asked how would I know if I pushed too hard. then got dizzy. 

next thing I knew he was behind me asking if I was 'still with him'. said I blanked out a couple times for 10 secs or so, although I was still standing (leaning). 

got me to lay down after with elevated legs and I felt ok after 10 mins. Got me to contact Jen to pick me up as I drove there.

Weird. 2 hours later I walked back (15 mins) to pick up my car. 

stupidly didnt have anything to eat prior (I never eat breakfast). 

trainer (who has a background of medical side of things) said my pupils dilated and it may have been a panic attack.

visited my gp and he said no reason he could see it would be an issue for me- but getting blood tests to see if anything to be concerned about- one of my migraine meds is a slight beta-blocker so may have had an influence. 

Havent been back as flat out getting my place finished ready for sale, but will go back soon and gently, gently.

thoughts?

Edited by Panda Eyes

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

you 100% should be resting more, by the sound of it. You clearly have no concept of where your "edge" lies, in terms of pushing yourself. So yes, gently, gently, gently is the way to get back into it.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

@Panda Eyes

Mate there is absolutely no need to go balls to the wall at your age and fitness level.

No rest breaks is a very specific advanced process that you only use after lifting weights for several years.

It was irresponsible for the trainer to push you that hard and I would stay away from them from here out.

If you want to do cardio then go for a walk for half an hour to 45 minutes per day. That is ample for everyone except perhaps for bodybuilders getting ready for a competition, and cardio specific sports such as cycling.

If you want to build muscle/strength then you need a program to specifically do that.

Muscle is what will make everything easy, cardio is a very distant second. You said you've got decent size and as you lift more the fat will come off you and you'll change shape. You won't gain actual size or weight for a long time.

On the food front, you should eat roughly 1 hour before lifting weights and it should comprise of mostly carbs, 50 to 100g depending on amount of muscle carried.

Mate I've done all kinds of lifting over the past 7 years, have worked out what works for lifting and also for diet. I'll be happy to help you get into it, without getting injured or put off by negative experiences like you've had.

Yes you gotta work, but no where near as hard as people think. You lift smarter, not harder. On that note, to be smarter you need to learn a lot. That I can help you with.

If you're keen send me a pm and we can work out (no pun intended) where you're at and how to move forward.

Last but not least, it's easy once you get into it and 45 minutes, 3 times a week of weights will absolutely change your life.

• Like 1

• Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 7m 7d

Gently gently is the way.

I've been on a bit of a journey myself the last 4 months. 

After baby #1 I was super fit and lifting every day... then I thought I did a back injury.., any who after months of no gym and baby #2 I was finally diagnosed with a bone fusing, inflammatory autoimmune condition which medication has not helped. 

I decided in December, after finally hating the way I looked so much and feeling sh*t on meds, including daily pain meds, that a natural method would work for me as a start. 

4 months later, some gym sessions and a solid diet of very limited sugar and calorie deficit... I’m 27kgs down, no pain meds (very infrequently anyway) and I somehow get better and better every time I get on the treadmill needing to challenge myself further to achieve the same HR. 

Feeling really good... probably wanna lose another 20 and really lean up, but at the same token, it’s all about how I feel rather than a goal figure. 

Started slowly lifting again also... and feeling good :) just gotta get some more consistency with a routine of going to the gym a minimum time per week. 

• Like 2