Weight Training For Beginners

Kv!

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 26d

Did my first planned workout today after many months of slacking. Farken stuff and things can get in the bin...

No endurance compared to last year. All good cos ya don't need to go hard after a long break/just starting out so yerp. Haha old man joints and all 🤣

TF for muscle memory, shouldn't take too long to get back there.

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Week one down of madcow 5x5. Gonna let the joints catch up for a month, then reset the weight to be a bit heavier. Will be good to get back to where I was 6 months ago, should only take about 6 weeks or so.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Madcow , although being 5x5, has only one top set so isn't as bad a straight 5x5. Straight 5x5 can get in the bin.

You gotta listen to your body for sure, there are distinct signs of CNS fatigue that can take a while to get the hang of noticing.

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Week 2 of madcow down as of yesterday. Gainz are coming back very quickly but still gotta take it easy until the joints catch up. Left shoulder has a bit of complaint with the bench and I'm still getting back in the groove for squats. I've switched to mix grip for deadlifts so that is taking some getting used to. I was using double overhand before and my grip would fail...that won't be a problem any more.

My lower back is telling me all about it, so for the last session yesterday I swapped the barbell rows for a semi vertical pull down.

Of all the lifts that I do the shoulder press has kept up the best, so I've reset the weight for that. Still not too heavy but it definitely needed an adjustment.

Anyways there is that, no more doms tf and looking forward to making some mo gains.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 9m 4d

One tough thing about mixed grip is you have to learn it twice. Aka both hands mixing it up.

I have a favoured side for sure, and often only use that for my top set, purely based on safety/comfort.

I wish I stayed overhand and used straps.

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Haha I was gonna be a slack arse and just do it one way. I suppose now is the time to practice both ways though, while I'm just getting started.

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 15d

I don't like the mixed grip as it always feels like I'm slightly twisting the bar around it's long axis, if you know what I mean...

Happy enough though as at my max deadlift I can still grip the bar due to doing heaps of other grip-related stuff like pullups etc.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I feel like that now but I just trust that my arms are the same length and any perceived difference is just a result of inexperience. Haha still feels weird though after doing double overhand for years.

You must be well over 2x bodyweight deadlift by now ay @k31th?

• Like 1

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 9m 4d

I get that but it becomes natural I guess and stays quite straight after a while.

I uses to think my grip was strong, but once the mix is mastered the security is so much greater.

I've only been using a belt for a few months as well and it's a blessing on my lower back.

• Like 1