Weight Training For Beginners

Kv!

• You've changed man....
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 1d

I just played afl for the Tigers. They trained me pretty hard. Once I thought I was buff enough I gave them the "its not me, its you" speech then threw em away like a speeding fine.

This method should work for anyone who has never kicked a footy before. The tigs will take anybody.

• Member For: 17y 5m 5d

Eat 6 times a day to keep metabolism going

This is a myth - metabolism has a lot more components than just your eating times and volume. You're better off thinking about a whole day approach. Generally 3 bigger meals will keep you feeling fuller longer than 6 small ones, and its easier to get your required intakes in those 3 large meals. Check out some of the stuff guys are doing in their journals on OCAU or BB.com if you want to research it further. Obviously everyone is different though and that approach might work for you. Don't just think its because its 6 smaller meals doing it for you.

Edited by Gonadman2

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 2d

I disagree, most people say 6-8 small meals is better, works great for me. Your body can only take in a certain amount of nutrients at a time, the rest is wasted. Constant fuel is what you need.

• Member For: 15y 2m 7d

Very interesting read...been reading this thread the past few days, it's right up my alley. Some great replies, particularly from Pazzo. You're obviously pretty experienced based on your replies. Do you compete at all mate?

Would like to add a few things that haven't been mentioned:

- There is no 'one size fits all' diet. There are variables that need to be considered such as what time of the day you train, what your body type is like, how you respond to certain foods etc.... generally speaking, your most important meals of the day would be breakfast, pre-workout and post workout. the majority of your carbs should be consumed around training time (pre/post workout) and breakfast, regardless of whether you train in the morning or at night. When I write up a diet, I start with these meals first, then fill in the gaps. Most bodybuilders also consume way more protein than required, and sometimes not enough carbs or fats, out of fear that if they don't eat enough protein they will shrink, and if they eat too much carbs they will get fat. I eat less protein now than I used to, but still grow the same. Just to say, 300g cooked chicken breast is a lot, and way more than most people will need in one meal unless you're a very large bodybuilder!

- I believe in losing weight through calorie expenditure rather than calorie deficit, so rather than starve myself (which will only make you look skinny), I like to eat up and just train harder. If my goal is to drop bodyfat, I only begin to restrict calories once I can no longer lose bodyfat through calorie expenditure. You eventually reach a point of diminishing returns - the same applies to calorie deficit. If you keep dropping calories, you'll eventually be down to next to nothing, you'll look like a skinned rabbit, your metabolism will come to a screeching halt and you will start to lose muscle very quickly.

- make sure you eat enough! do not starve yourself. This won't help you at all, and will only result in your metabolism slowing down, your leptin levels dropping and your body eating away at your muscles. Refer to my post above about calorie expenditure and calorie deficit.

- gear is not a shortcut, so for those reading this thread thinking of heading in that direction, don't bother. It's not a quick fix. Whether you are natural or not, you still need to eat like a champ, train your ass off, get plenty of rest, stay away from the piss, stay away from crappy food and do this day in day out for a long a$$ time and then some. Building muscle is a very long and slow process...it doesn't happen overnight. All gear does is make you recover faster, so that you can train harder and for longer, and eat more food and then build more muscles. If you do not do all this, you can take all the gear in the world and it won't help you.

- best way to lose fat is build more muscles :) (not saying its the only way, just adding what hasn't already been mentioned in this thread)

- gonadman2, interesting you say that. Why do you say it's a myth? Is it something you've read on the internet? Let me just say, that when it comes to bodybuilding you will always find one theory that contradicts another theory. There is a reason why bodybuilders can consume so much food in a day and not get fat. There is also more reason to eating frequently other than keeping the metabolism going. Building muscle is a 24/7 process, therefore, you must keep a constant flow of amino acids throughout the body.

If you only eat 3 meals, you are also likely to eat a lot more food in one sitting, which is more likely to give you a large insulin spike. The only time you'd want a large insulin spike is post workout.

Personally, when I lower the frequency of meals (during times when I'm not training) I definitely feel my metabolism slow down. When I go back to eating frequently and eating large amounts of food, metabolism skyrockets again. Not saying that you won't get results by sticking to 3 meals a day, but in my opinion, if your goals are inclined towards bodybuilding, then stick to the 'eat frequently' approach. Bodybuilders have been following this method for decades. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I think that's all for now, otherwise this post will get too big lol.

Edited by xpl0sive

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 2d

Great post mate keep going, diet is by far the hardest part. Are you a nutritionist or bodybuilder? Or just done alot of homework?