E85

• Get It To Wheelspin Uncontrolably Then Give It Another 5 Pounds
  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 13y 6m 3d

So, if someone was to get pulled over and put over the pits, including emissions, you could throw a tank of E10 and re-tune/de-tune it to pass?

• Member For: 21y 24d

Remember the ring in the front pipe of the exhaust of FGs put there to heat the catalitic converter up quicker. So it would be hard to pass the cold start emissions test which the car manufacturers need to comply with.

Pretty sure emission testing stations are all hot start tests so a good injector like ID1000 and twin factory cats would pass if tuned correctly. It would need the injectors to be dialed in really well so that all the closed loop trimmings work properly. E85 should make it easier to pass. In the US they do dump a bit of ethanol in the tank to pass the test. A very important factor is having hot cats just before the testing.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d

Yep, with IM240, if you can get a tuner to 5 gas test it and tune it to pass that, it should pass the IM240 on 98 alone... but a little ethanol in the tank would help.

If you tried to use E85 the tester would be able to smell the difference and may strike it as a failure automatically due to trying to "cheat the system" with a different fuel. 

• Member For: 15y 9m 7d
5 hours ago, Krazy Kyle said:

So, if someone was to get pulled over and put over the pits, including emissions, you could throw a tank of E10 and re-tune/de-tune it to pass?

What I got told (from asking lots of people):

- Put an original Ford cat on.  Apparently it's one of the rare times when the factory has the best item.

- Car might pass with factory cat on.  If not then put car on dyno and rev the hell of it.  Get cat as hot as possible - they work better when they're hot.

- If it still fails... dunno... time for HP Tuners.

My green Tornado has been passed, but I haven't picked it up yet.  I'll find out some info about it tomorrow.  

Wasn't cheap ($580) and the car was there for three weeks.  

XFT quoted me $1,500 to pass an emissions test.

Edited by PhilMeUp

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m 1d
9 hours ago, Krazy Kyle said:

In the simplest of terms yes.