"tap" Warning Light

Ale

• Member For: 12y 7m 30d

Ok, Il steer away from the warranty issue to keep the thread on track and make this thread use full for some one else that may encounter the same error. Needless to say, I'm on my own, and if I cant sus it, my tuner will get a call and get his first chance at working on my taxi.

So, this light, turns out what I thought was a tap is actually the engine warning light!! Got home today and was stoked to see that my elm327 bluetooth adaptor had arrived. 5mins later I had it sending the code to my HTC using the free "torque" ap.

Error code p0171 came up, I cleared it and have driven the car for an hr since and it hasnt come back.

Some quick goggling has come up as a "lean mixture" error.

Now where do I start?

The car has just done 100,000km and is dead stock ( cos I thought it was under warranty) I gave it a major service when I got it 2000kms ago and it was running mint. Only thing I can think of is that just before the error came up on sunday, I was at traffic lights, foot on the brake, in drive with the air-cond on and the car was idling a tad rough and at 500rpm.

I didn't change the fuel filter during the service so that's my first point of call, second is a clean of the MAP sensor? I also haven't gone over the inlet/exhaust manifold bolts since I've got it, nor do I think the previous owner would've. That would help eliminate a vacuum leak.After that, if I don't find a dodgy EGR valve or some kind of vacuum leak,

Any other ideas?

By the way, Im in adelaide

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m

Fuel filter is a good idea, it can be a SOB first time to get loose if it's not been done in a while. Mine was threatening to round nuts first time but I've changed it twice since and no sweat. Changing it about every 30 thou. and just done it at 147,000. Always used BP98 and recently Vortex98 since I bought it (with 37,000km) except for one trip up north (eww 95).

Is idle still smooth?

Edited by -SteveR-

Idle hasn't played up again, and its as smooth as its ever been ( I understand its not a BMW or Merc)

I tried checking the ECU for codes again using my Torque app, and this time with nothing lit up on the dash , it said that a logged error was P1132, "rich conditions etc" so who knows!!!

I had the P0171 come up when the dash light was on and I cleared it :" running lean etc"

I really need to get some PC based diagnostics software and have a proper look or even see if the paid version of the Torque Ap is nicer for diagnostics type work.

Regardless, the car has driven fine, and just for interest sake I filled up with 98RON ultimate, cos up until know Id been using the liberty 94/95 E10 mix.

Il swap the filter on the weekend just to be sure and keep an eye on it

Id love a link to the true BF error codes and what they mean if some one has them?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 15d

I think that's about the most info it will give, I.e its not going to tell you specifically what the problem is, just give hints on places to start looking.

I had the lean out code recently, travelling home on a 760km round trip, sitting on cruise going fine, went to pass a bus and....nothing, no power, lucky I had my X3 in the car to tell me what the hell had just happened.

Changed my pump, tank filter, inline filter, cleaned rail and injectors and goes great again, helped with fuel economy too.

BA BF Falcon and SX SY Territory DTCs (1).xls

Edited by 1600dave

hhmmm, went out to the car yesty, turned it on, had the error on the dash, torque ap logged and cleared P1132 again.

Spoke to my tuner, pretty much summed it up as you have to start throwing parts at it, no scan tool will tell me more :(

So filter has been ordered, Im going to start researching pump and injectors and use this an excuse with the minister that my car needs a tune up

Thanx for the link dave

yeh, hope so. Im a bit disullioned by the car after the week Ive had.

Even last night, I gave it a hit with the trans in sports mode, and for some stupid reason, in second gear, the ABS light came up on the dash along with what I think the imobolizer light? (It only happened for a second) But the car felt terrible with a big shunt, even the standard stereo cut out during the "gliche".

I thought I was getting an cult aussie "muscle" car, but at this rate the thing will be at a wrecker in 6mnths!! and this is a second owner low km "good one"

Never had such issues with Jap cars :(