Turbo Issue Help Me Diagnose

fastfwd

• Member For: 12y 4m 5d

hey all,

So purchased my Territory Ghia Turbo 2 months ago and I was driving home today the check engine light came on. Nothing appeared to be out of the normal until I got off the freeway and found my turbo making a bearing noise. Car has done 120 thou and has log book service every 10 thousand k's sometimes 5 thousand k's.

Started the car back up once I got home to see if I could here the turbo again and I cant really.

I have a really bad feeling im going to need a turbo rebuild. Is it common to happen to these turbo's on the fords? I know garretts are good for 150 thou or more before they even start to show signs of wear and tear.

Should I wait for the car to cool down and take it for another drive?

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 2m 10d

You'll probably find the filter in the turbo feed line is blocked and starved the bearing of oil thus stuffing the bearings, you will most likely need new turbo and to remove that filter or get an earls kit.

If you search the forum it has been cover alot.

• Member For: 12y 4m 5d

Cheers Wenier,

After I posted up I did do some searching. I've called MTQ turbo here in perth. They said they rebuild xr6 turbo's once every 3 weeks dude to the Gauze filter failing. I've booked the car in to get the turbo rebuilt and a new oil feed line with an aftermarket oil filter setup on it and having the gauze stock filter removed. Apparently the stock oil feed filter on these motors clogs up 90-130k's if not removed and cleaned and blows the turbo even if you service the car ever 5-10 thou which mine has.

One more thing if you can help me with. My check engine light has come on the same time this is happening. I know from experience that the turbo's dont have sensors of any kind, could it just be that the car was running rich due to the fact the turbo wasnt spooling correctly flooding an o2 sensor of some kind?

told the guys ant MTQ and he also said the check engine light has nothing to do with the spun bearing on the turbo.

any idea's? and who can diagnose the check engine light?

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d

Check engine light would be due to low oil pressure. The oil pressure switch is screwed into the end of the fitting that supplies oil too the turbo.

Yours obviously became restricted too the point that is starved the turbo and the pressure drop too the switch was enough to bring on the light.

Have a look at the pictures in the first post in this thread. It show the layout of the screen/switch assembly

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/32461-turbo-oil-supply-screen-cleaning/page__hl__turbo%20supply%20screen%20cleaning

• 3 weeks later...
  • Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

Check engine light would be due to low oil pressure. The oil pressure switch is screwed into the end of the fitting that supplies oil too the turbo.

Yours obviously became restricted too the point that is starved the turbo and the pressure drop too the switch was enough to bring on the light.

Have a look at the pictures in the first post in this thread. It show the layout of the screen/switch assembly

http://www.fordxr6tu...reen%20cleaning

It is my understanding that on the territory the oil pressure is taken from the turbo oil feed , so if the turbo see's reduced oil then the engine check light or oil light will come on. This has saved a few turbo's.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

Turbocharger Failure.

Over the last few years we have seen a rapid increase in turbo failures on BA-F, from standard road cars to modified ones using the standard turbo system as designed by Ford. Now many of you may know that the turbo oil feed line has a small screen filter in it located in the fitting that comes out of the block. This filter from Ford had no schedule service life, in other words it is not recommended to be replaced, although we always replace them when replacing the turbocharger.

Now over all the years I have been working on turbo high performance cars I have never seen a filter in the oil supply for the turbo. I would rather have dirty oil going to the turbo rather than having a blocked filter that you know nothing about it and have zero oil getting to the turbo.

So here is the good bit. On a Territory Turbo, this in line oil filter is fitted after the cylinder block but before both the turbo feed line take off point and the oil pressure switch. So when it becomes blocked the oil pressure switch does not get oil pressure, causing the oil light and warning alarm to stay on after start up for up to 10 to 15 seconds. This is the first warning that the filter is blocked and the turbo is starving for oil. Now if you have a Territory and this is happening get it looked at ASAP. Ford now have a larger filter now available, although it is at your cost if you want it replaced. You may have it replaced under warranty if you are experiencing the above problem , I am not sure.

Here’s the even better bit, on an XR6t when the filter block’s, engine oil pressure still gets to the pressure switch, even when you have no oil pressure getting to the turbo. The way they have located the filter vs oil pressure switch is different between XR6t and Territory but the lack of oil remains the same. Causing turbo failure.

As far as I can see I would recommend either changing this filter every 10,000 kms or better still removing it totally, again if you are changing you oil every 5000kms on servicing having the oil filter is not necessary and there must be hundreds of XR6T’s out there staving there turbo’s of good oil supply.

The Territory we just did had a filter that looked very clean when removed but still had the problem, remember to replace the turbo will cost you $2500 and up when its failure may well have been prevented.

This was a direct quote from Simon at Nizpro.

Edited by arronm

• Member For: 17y 2m 13d

I can't find a oil pressure switch on my BA xr6t? I understand the logic behind the switch

just can't locate it.

My check engine light would come on when I floor it and stay on for 5 secs then go away.

Don't know if this was related to my turbo failure (which I have recently replaced with a GTX3582 unit) I spoke to ford and they believed that it weas the TPS under the dash.