2010 5-Speed Auto Xr6 Problem

Breakdown

• Member For: 12y 5m 5d

I just posted this in the Technical Forum but perhaps it's better suited here, seeing as I don't own a turbo.

I recently bought a 2010 5-speed Auto XR6. It always makes a "clunk" sound when changing from Park to Reverse or Reverse to Drive or Drive to Park and so on. The dealer told me this is normal. After doing some reading it seems common for the 5-speed Auto. However, is it damaging my transmission?

Also, ocassionally when I drive I notice that when it changes gear it makes a clunking sound, and it sounds as though it's coming from under the bonnet. This only started to happen over the last 2 weeks. It has happend over a dozen times now. And it happens in both Performance Mode and Automatic Mode. Is this normal? And, more importantly,is this damaging my transmission?

I'm getting worried that my gearbox (if it is actually the transmission) is going to die on me much sooner than it ought to. Is this likely?

I'd appreciate any feedback on my questions. I spent $24,000 on this car; I expect everything to be in tip-top order.

Thanks guys!

• I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 5m 30d

"It always makes a "clunk" sound when changing from Park to Reverse or Reverse to Drive or Drive to Park and so on. The dealer told me this is normal. After doing some reading it seems common for the 5-speed Auto."

I found that it is much smoother to change through these gears with the brakes and handbrake on. come to a stop on the brakes and shift into N, then handbrake on as well, release the footbrake and let the car rest on the handbrake, then select the gear you want.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 4m 17d

The clunk going from park to reverse ect is probably just drivline slack which is normal and can vary from car to car, some are unnoticable and others a little more noticable...but im not sure about the clunk while driving that doesnt sound too good...

• Banned
  • Member For: 12y 5m 12d

so its not always been like that? might be worth getting a transmission expert to take a look, dont know much about the 5 speed apart from its french and I got told to stay away from them by a mate I have that works at a ford dealer, but it might be as simple as just giving it a service, you never know. you should be under warenty, maby try get another dealership to take a look maby they will do something for you.

Andy

• Member For: 12y 5m 5d

Thanks guys

Well it's good to hear that the "clunk" from Park to drive and so on is normal and not damaging. But the occasional clunk whilst shifting up or down gears (seems to be from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd all the time) is alarming, judging by what you guys have written.

It's under warranty till June 2013 so I'll go to the Ford Customer Services Centre and get them to have a look at it. But I'm guessing they'll take it for a spin and, as luck would have it, it WON'T play up, and they'll write it off as "normal". These guys at Ford's Customer Service Centre often tend to circumvent their obligations in regard to warranty repairs (so I've found from experience, anyway). Anyway, I'll give it shot and see what happens.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 5m 3d

The clunk is a combination of the transmission, centre bush and diff slack. Its not causing damage but if it is annoying it can be easily fixed by replacing the centre bush on the tailshaft.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Member For: 13y 6m 18d

I've for an 09 FG, I have the same 'Clunk'.

I have had my tailshaft coupling and bushes replaced, as it was a getting a clunk at certain revs, but it may be my driving. The sound has returned since. The guy at ford told me that it is a known issue with the bushes wearing out. They can put in harder ones, but then it will affect the drive.