Issues With T56 Conversion

XRDRIFT

• Member For: 17y 9m 6d

I just recently brought a complete T56 conversion kit from Mal Wood few weeks ago along with all the extras...Short Shift kit, braided lines...we all know the stuff:) I just finished putting all the components in, vacuum bled the lines, filled it up with the Transmax Z they supplied, tailshaft was completely overhauled...made sure EVERYTHING was hooked up and tightened....Start car up, revved it a few times and let it warm up, to allow the fluids to get through the gears inside box......And was shocked, cant select gears, neutral feels 'sticky'...I've still retained my 5 speed clutch as its only 3,500ks old, plus have a Chrome Moly F/wheel, 1.2tonne H/D pressure plate, and Double cushioned button clutch. To make it clear, I was VERY careful that I didn't drop or knock the box around. There whole procedure was very easy and went smooth :D As expected with all Mal Wood products.

They did send me out a spacer for the CSC as it was needed to get the correct clutch crush depth, pedal feels tight but no gears :( Any ideas? I really don't want to pull it out again as I just spent all weekend assembling it. And very sore LOL

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Pete

• I am dissatisfied with my current employment situation
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 6m 27d

Normal.. Hard to change after a few laps around the block.. Let it rest fir a couple of hours and was fine after that

I cant actually select any gears to get it to move forward, wont go into 1st-6th, not even reverse. Its like its stuck in neutral.

Well, did some work this afternoon on it. Was going to pullbox out and send back to Mal Wood to get checked. So I started to remove the box, drained the oil, removed the tailshaft and disconnected the wires for the reverse lockout solenoid and switch. Go inside car, to pull the gear stick out, and WOW could select gears!!!

So.....I put everything back. Drop the car on ground, with car OFF, I checked if I could still select gears and COULD. Start car, and dammit, was back to square one, couldnt select gears even when I pressed the clutch pedal. So I did a little test to see what I could do and couldnt.

Started car, and whilst in 'neutral' with car running gear selection wasnt happening. Turn car off, put car into 1st, start car in gear WITHOUT pressing the clutch and this is the weird part, car idled, in 1st.....so I have no idea whats up there. To make it clear, the car was running with that clutch and did drive it into the garage. So it was working.

Maybe the slave cylinder inside car let go, or theres still air in the lines......alot of it. Im hoping its something simple now as its SOOOO to be a running car again.

Cheers Pete

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 1m 14d

soon to do the same conversion.. hoping you get it sorted.... and I dont have any issues ;)

• I am dissatisfied with my current employment situation
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 6m 27d

When I did my conversion I had to select gears with the car off just to test drive it.. Got back to the shop abd said it was f*cked.. Left it for a few hours and it was fine,, like it bleeds itself

• Member For: 17y 10m 28d

if you can select gears with the engine off but not running it sounds like you have a clutch issue.

If the crush depth is correct, system bled properly and the spigot bearing is good, you may have damaged the clutch plate.

We have seen several instances of people fitting clutches, that when fitting, the gearbox spline enters the clutch plate but the box starts to get heavy so they drop the box a little which can warp the clutch plate, once warped it can then drag because it will make contact even though the clutch is released

• Like 1

Cheers for all the feed back guys. I think I may have sorted out the issue. Although I did set the clutch crush depth according the email Mal Wood sent me, I added a 10mm spacer behind the CSC, which the other gearbox, T5, DIDNT have. But it worked fine. I've had the gearbox out a few times (T5) for various reasons like CSC bearing was noisey and rear main was leaking. But never had any issues with clutch.

Upon installing the new T56 which we all trust Mal Wood products are great, the addition of the spacer is the only difference between the 2 boxes. And my mate came over today and we did a test. I know I can select gears with car off but not on. And can start car in gear. So with that said, started car in gear, and tried to pullit out fo gear with clutch, no go....as usuall, but put my foot on clutch and out it came:) But in saying that, in neutral with car running, I cant select gears.

So my theory is, that spacer has thrown out everything form working right. So I have started to get it ready to pull out, and remove that spacer, afterall, the T56 and T5 Bellhousing to the CSC bearing dimensions are identical as I measured both to make sure my clutch would be fine. Fingers crossed, but I have a good feeling about this:)