Xcal 2 No Longer Supported With A Zf

tpinto

• Member For: 17y 10m 27d

There is very big murmurs from some qtrs to have ECU/ECM's made unalterable. Cars, bikes and trucks. And these unalterable ecu's will be data logging.

With current emission laws, ECU's must be able to be reprogrammed so as to keep them within emission specifications, this rule is obviously based towards manufacturers so as any problems that show with age can be rectified by an udated factory tune, but this is what gives us the back door to be able to do what we do

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 4m 5d

SCT obviously use the BACK DOOR,Sorry Ratter, Couldnt help myself!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 4m 20d

Don't know if there are any solicitors on this site but could this not be seen as some type of discrimination against owners of ZF's Why should these owners have to fork out the dollars for software they don't require or even want.

• I <3 Floods
  • Member For: 12y 8m 22d

So before we break out the torches and pitchforks.. Can anyone answer whether or not the XCAL 2 will remain compatible if the person doesn't get the ZF tables included in their tune? I know nothing about the fine art of tuning etc.. But is it possible to keep the ZF tables out of the tune so people with an XCAL 2 can just go without? Like it was previously?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 13d

Luckily I have escaped this pain, with an xcal3 and no ZF, but these car flashing manufacturers are absolute donkeys. The custom software industry can be bought for considerably less than SCT feel necessary to charge for these boxes. As to your theory ratter, if they only crammed perhaps 5mb of memory into the "tiny" flash boxes, perhaps the tune file sizes may perhaps exceed the limit, but at time of production of the xcal1 even, a 2gb flash drive was less than one fifth of the final price of the tune box (2gb would hold over 500 zf and engine tunes by itself, EASILY). Their profiteering in a cornered market disgusts me as a software developer already, but to then double and triple shank their customes like this is just a plain dog act.

• Like 2

• loitering with intent
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m 4d

So before we break out the torches and pitchforks.. Can anyone answer whether or not the XCAL 2 will remain compatible if the person doesn't get the ZF tables included in their tune? I know nothing about the fine art of tuning etc.. But is it possible to keep the ZF tables out of the tune so people with an XCAL 2 can just go without? Like it was previously?

Torches and pitch forks hhhhmmm , haven't got a Stooge hunters Cape in the wardrobe have you ?

What you say makes sense but I fear reality will be different

• Like 1

• I <3 Floods
  • Member For: 12y 8m 22d

Their profiteering in a cornered market disgusts me as a software developer already, but to then double and triple shank their customes like this is just a plain dog act.

A company that is making big dollars off a product where they corner the market :o .... Naughty Naughty Company!! :bopp:

I'm against a company shutting down support for their historical products especially when they are products you would assume a 10 year life for (assuming 10 year car life).. But we'll never stop people wanting to make a buck off us when they can.. (sh*t the government does it daily).

Torches and pitch forks hhhhmmm , haven't got a Stooge hunters Cape in the wardrobe have you ?

What you say makes sense but I fear reality will be different

I'm sure I can organise something.. I may also have a spare cape if you want to borrow it.. Alternatively we can just arrange an SCT burning day (Like a book burning) where everyone throws their XCALS into a big bonfire and we dance around chanting catchy slogans about how we hate SCT??? I can make some signs?

• Member For: 13y 3m 4d

I thought this issue only happened when you or your tuner updates the firmware on your xcal. Until then, it's only changes engine tune.

Surely if you don't update the firmware on your xcal you can just continue to tune only the motor on your bf-fg 6 zf equipped car.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 4m 20d

From what I was told the flash box has the information about what box the vehicle has got from the initial tune so when they update the software from sct everything gets downloaded automatically and you can not choose what you want downloaded. It's all or nothing but I'm sure other tuners will be able to clarify this .