Full Custom Fg Ute Install

XR50T Ute

• Member For: 13y 4m 22d

Hi guys some picks of my custom fg ute install, with I took the the MEASQ Competition in ACT in September this year.

All panels and sub box are custom press fit and require no fixings or screwing to the car in any way. this includes the amps!!!! :boast:

The setup is now in the process of stripping out to make way for new setup for the 2012 season, hope my ideas may help others with this model fit their stereo gear in.

If your interested the system is up for sale, PM me or check the classifides. I will post more pics of the new system once I get around to fabrication.

the system components

Rainbow splits in doors and a-pillars

Rainbow Rears

JL Audio for tweeters

Alpine PDX 4.150 for all speakers

Alpine M6 for sub

Rainbow Amboss 10" Sub

2 farad Cap

and a sound processor.

The next challenge is to fit even more gear into my new setup. I hope this helps with anyone struggling to find practical room for their gear.

I have other gear for sale like alpine fold out touch screen etc, see classifide for further details.

post-43435-0-64697000-1320221961_thumb.j

post-43435-0-01163500-1320221994_thumb.j

post-43435-0-22141100-1320222135_thumb.j

post-43435-0-85447900-1320222154_thumb.j

post-43435-0-12949600-1320222321_thumb.j

post-43435-0-26432600-1320222860_thumb.j

post-43435-0-09735200-1320222873_thumb.j

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 25d

Hey mate. Was just wondering how it sounded and which processor did you use for your system. I am in the process of fitting a Kicker 1x750W mono amp, 4x100 Kicker amp to Focal 6 1/2 splits in the front and 6 1/2 Focal Coaxials in the rear with 2 x 12" Kicker Subs. This system was out of my BA Falcon Sedan and sounded brilliant off an aftermarket headunit which I installed myself.

I am overly aware that the FG's are notoriously noisy when fitting aftermarket amps and speakers etc and open to any suggestions. I am chasing clear sound whilst retaining the use of the factory head unit!

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim,

Mate noise I have found can be hit and miss, in my 09 fg ute I had a little signal noise, however in my '10 50th none. A few things to check,

1. Signal noise ratio on the amps, anything above 100db would be desirable.

2. Ensure proper shielding and separation of power cables and speaker cables. I ran mine down the centre of the cabin driv side, only coz the caps behind the driv seat and speaker cables down the sills.

3. Sound deadening a big must, don't skimp I know it's not cheap but well worth it. In mine with the aircon on with doors and windows shut it blows the excess air out the drivers side door rubber seal.

4. Check the gains, on amps with lower s/n ratios this can help with reducing unwanted noise.

I'm running the audison bit one. I'm not sure if you have the premium colour icc but if you do depending on the level of system your searching for it may be good enough considering it has a 5ch eq. If you have the standard icc then your really are very limited, I personally know someone in the industry who tested the premium colour icc and said its ability was very very good for a factory unit. Pity they skimp on everything else in the setup!!!....

Are you planing to install your system in a ute or sedan??

Hope this was helpful let me know if I can help.

Dave

Two things I forgot ?

1. Ground wiring! Don't take the lazy way out find a GOOD grounding, do a google search there are many ways. There's a trick I was taught. I forget now had something to do with a cassette deck and a speaker and you can listen for a clean spot on the chassis. It is here where you will find the best place to ground. I would like to bet that 80% of the fg noise issues are related to poor grounding! It really is important to find a GOOD ground and not a convenient one!!!

And how soes it sound?, awesome, with higher spec rainbow speakers for the front stage I was awarded second at the measq act comp.

Hope this helps and good luck!

• Donating Members

Cheers Dave,

Congrats on the install mate, and thanks for the advice. Yep the system is going in my 08 FG ute with premium sound (Luxury Pack). Yep I was planning on running cables down the centre of the cabin to keep all cables away from wiring looms etc and definitely know the importance of good earthing points (and to keep them as short as possible) for the amps etc. I have plenty of convoluted tubing for the Speaker Cables, and Power cables etc and will definitely keep them separated!

A great investment will have to be the Sound Deadening and was looking at the extent that you went with in your ute, I was thinking "holy sh*t". It was great to see the pics ya chucked up and I basically want this system to sound crystal clear as it did in my BA but also want my car to stay in one piece! lol Seeing those pics is awesome advice and something that I will definitely follow!

After reading all the posts from people having issues with noise etc and seeing how clean your install was I knew you would have had to address this issue!

Well once again thanks for that and as soon as the processor, cap and sound deadening is sourced I'll get cracking on it as it is the only thing holding me up...once I'm into it I'll post some pics up.

I am very fussy and particular with my installs and refuse to cut corners, from wiring type/ location (in relation to wiring harness, exhaust heat), type of equipment, no damage to vehicle (eg: no cutting holes etc!). You'd get the picture! lol

Ps. Great choice with the rainbows too!!! Never heard of them before so I went and checked out their website.. Great looking speaker!!!

Obviously plenty of bass with the 10" in the ute?

Cheers

Tim

• 4 months later...
  • Donating Members

Hey Dave,

Just thought I'd let ya know I finally finished the install of my system into the ute....and absolutely blown away.. I went with the Audison Bit Ten processor and yeah they make a good product. I have a little bit of noise when the head unit is set at zero but once it's up...mind blowing crystal clear sound!!! I followed your advice and done the whole system myself, done my research, planned the build (routing of wires etc), I manufactured a custom sub Enclosure to house the 2 12"s behind the seats/ Amplifiers in the cab of the ute and installed the processor etc. The sound stage in the ute is mind blowing (and that's with the 'out of the box firmware' operating the system...haven't got around to updating the software on it with the laptop yet!!).

Just wanted to say thank you very much for your advice. It gave me the confidence to back myself instead of paying someone else some ridiculous amount to do it. The install turned out beautiful....pain in the a*s at times but the end result was worth every bit. No cut corners, no body mods or drilling required at all to the car, looks completely stealthy in every way (umm until you see the amplifiers and 2 subs aimed at your seats!!! and the sound quality is like driving around in a sound studio!! The two 12's hitting the seats is simply lethal with zero distortion, a snare sounds like a snare, guitar sounds like a guitar...I can't help but now drive the long way home!!! hahaha

I've since pulled up alongside other FG and SS utes and they spinout that the Bass is coming from an FG!!

Pictures tell a thousand words so soon as a get a chance I'll chuck some up. I unfortunately didn't get photos during the install as I had the missus coming out all the time asking "are ya done yet?....over and over and over!!! lol". My main focus was to complete it so the finished product will be what I'll chuck up!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...