How Do You Tell If There Is A Break In The Ic Piping..

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 7m 28d

Hey all,

Recently I fitted a Cold air induction I purchased off fleabay,, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/COLD-AIR-INTAKE-KIT-FG-XR6-TURBO-XR6-6-CYL-ALL-FG-6CYL-MODELS-/350494826082?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item519b1e9e62

I didn't pay attention to the instructions properly and not realising I had to cut it to clear the IC piping I heard a very loud crack as I tried to forcefully push the side panel into place.. Headlight still works.. But there is a bit of play in the IC piping that is right near passenger side headlight. It's also worth noting that I changed the cone pipe at the same time and I haven't got a lid on the new Air box yet as it started to piss down rain so I went inside and hid.. Power wise it doesn't really feel any different.. But the induction sound has increased alot.. But now when I let off the throttle after giving it a bootfull I get this FFFFSSSSSSSHHHHHHOOOOOOOO noise.. Is this just the blow off valve letting go into the crossover making more noise because of the pod filter? Or have I managed the crack something essential? Or how would I tell? I couldn't notice any air escaping while a mate was revving it up but it's hard to tell given the location of the piping.

Thanks in advance.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 20d

I reckon you'd notice if you cracked the intercooler piping. The noise will probably be the turbo flutter because if the pod and silencer cone being replaced.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

• I <3 Floods

Yeah I thought it'd just be the flutter but it isn't actually a fluttery noise.. It's just one big gas release sound.. Like taking the lid off a coke bottle really fast.. I was fairly sure performance would be effected if I had a hole in the intake pipe.. If anything it feels a little bit better lower down (According to the bumometer anyways)..

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 20d

I've never blown a cooler pipe myself but when a mate did his on his wrx it was hugely noticeable. No boost. Maybe there is a small leak somewhere. I have heard they won't flutter but will whoosh with pipe leaks. I'm sure someone here with more experience will be able to help. I'm still on my L's haha

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

• I <3 Floods

Cheers for the response though mate.. Probably should have a boost gauge or something so I'd know for sure.. I might just see how it runs at Benaraby next week.. If it takes me 16 seconds to do the 1/4 I'll know there is a problem..

• Menace
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 11m 7d

I bought a boost gauge for 60bux some time ago. Piece of p1ss to fit up. Its not even in a holder I just spray painted the back of it black and squeezed it in the bottom setion in front of the gear shifter. I changed the back light to a blue led to match the footwell lights.

TBH I have had a fair few ppl jump in the car and no-one has even noticed it. Just make sure you hide the cable and what not well. You can get power from the ciggy lighter.

It is dodgy I know but in saying that its a handy tool for 60bux and can be taken back out in a matter of a minute or 2.

Edited by Kroozin

• I <3 Floods

Yeah I am picking one up from rapeco tomorrow.. Since I may not have time due to work to fit it.. Anyone else know how to detect a busted IC pipe? The new intake and cone pipe replacement seems frikkin loud so I'm not sure if that is normal.

• Member For: 12y 9m 13d

I had exact same noise on mine about 2 weeks ago.

thought it real weird cause felt more responsive down low but less power boosting with revs.

rubber on throttle body connecting crossover slipped off ever so slightly.

Really loud turbo spooling sound and pssshhh was actually big boost leak.

You might be right

Maybe it was only even the end of a pipe popping out...had this on my ba so many times ive lost count...

I have to put it back in and tighten when ive been working on something on the car.

Edited by Garrettba03

• Member For: 12y 9m 13d

piece of hose and ear/face is the way to check air leaks...but revving on idle I dunno if ud get enuff pressure to find it...maybe?

I know when I connected my new intercooler and was blowing it out revving on idle prior to connecting it to the throttlebody

there was lots of air blowing at least 2m away to make a dangling doily on the fridge go absolutely nuts...so maybe?

Edited by Garrettba03